Chapter 9

Y/N was out for the evening with Yoongi. He convinced her to get out of the house for the night. They had gone down to the boardwalk to get dinner at one of their favorite spots and were enjoying the cool breeze coming off the water when Y/N heard a familiar high-pitched voice.

Mina was standing in the shadow of a building, her long blond hair streaming behind her. She had her arms wrapped around the guy in front of her and was pressing her lips to his. When the guy lifted his face, Y/N was surprised to see it wasn't Jungkook. It was Soobin.

Before the couple could see her, Y/N grabbed Yoongi's hand and rushed him away from there.

Yoongi tugged her to a stop. "Hey! What's the hurry?" he asked.

Y/N faked a laugh. "Nothing. There's so much to see. I didn't want to miss anything," she said.

Yoongi looked at her strangely. "Oookkkaaayyy," he said, stretching out the word. "If you say so."

Y/N distracted herself with Yoongi's company and his intelligent conversation. They always had such a good time together and she was grateful for his friendship. He had shared things with her that he had never told anyone and she was deeply flattered to have his trust.

Over the next couple of days, Y/N thought about what she had seen on the boardwalk. She wanted to confront Mina, but knew it would end badly if she did. Y/N's heart broke for her former best friend. The sight of his girlfriend kissing another made her chest ache for him. Jungkook truly believed Mina was his soulmate. He would be devastated if he found out that she was essentially cheating on him, but Y/N knew she had to tell him the truth.

Y/N texted him and asked him to meet her after their last classes of the day. He responded quickly saying he would.

Y/N was waiting for him outside the front of the school when Jungkook arrived. His face broke out in his familiar adorable smile when he saw her and he hurried over to her. Jungkook reached out to hug her, but Y/N dodged away, refusing to let him embrace her. His face fell for a moment before he remembered their friendship had essentially ended.

"Hey Jungkook," Y/N said softly.

Jungkook's chest tightened at her words. He so missed hearing her call him Kookie and JK. "Hey what's up?" he asked, forcing a smile on his face.

Y/N hesitated. "How have you been?" she asked.

"Good. Been busy with Mina planning her birthday party. It's gonna be a great time," Jungkook forced out.

Y/N looked at her hands, twisting the ring she wore on her middle finger. Jungkook recognized the silver ring. He had bought it for her birthday three years ago and never once seen her without it. His heart melted a little to see she still wore it.

Y/N looked up at his face. "Mina is actually... um... she's actually who I want to talk to you about," she said.

Jungkook's eyebrows went up in surprise. "What about Mina? What is this about?"

Y/N hesitated again. "The other night, I saw her on the boardwalk. I was with Yoongi. She wasn't alone," she said.

Jungkook smiled. "I know she was out. She had dinner with Soobin," he said.

Y/N shook her head. "Jungkook, she had her arms around him and was kissing him. Really kissing him," she said softly.

Jungkook's eyes narrowed. "You must be mistaken. Mina wouldn't do that to me," he said, anger coloring his voice.

Y/N reached out a hand to him, but quickly stopped herself. "Jungkook I know what I saw. She wasn't just hanging out with him. I'm telling you. Mina is che..."

Jungkook cut her off before she could finish. "Stop it Y/N. I don't know what you think you saw, but you're wrong," he bit out.

Y/N's face flushed in irritation. "Kookie, listen to me."

"Don't call me Kookie. You don't have the right to call me that anymore. You're just jealous of what Mina and I have. Jealous that you don't have a SOULMATE!" The last word came out in a shout.

Y/N's eyes filled with tears. "I don't believe you just said that," she said, her voice laced with pain. Her tears spilled down her cheeks.

Jungkook's anger disappeared at the sight of his best friend in pain, pain that he caused with his harsh words. "Honey, I..."

"You know what Jungkook-ssi. You're right. I don't have the right to call you Kookie anymore," she said quietly before turning and running away from him.

Jungkook flinched at the formal use of his name and made a move to follow her, but was stopped by a rough jerk on his arm. He turned to see Hoseok behind him, his normally happy demeanor bright red with rage.

"What the hell did you do?" he asked, grabbing Jungkook by the collar and dragging him close to his face.

Jungkook flinched at the absolute rage on Hoseok's face. He had never seen him like this before. Hoseok in a rage was terrifying. "Hoseok, you should have heard the things she said. It's not my fault her soulmate mark didn't show up," Jungkook responded, his voice shaking.

Hoseok tightened his grip on Jungkook's collar then punched him in the jaw, before dropping him to the ground. "You have no idea about the mistake you just made. You've destroyed her and any chance of reconciling your friendship. Stay away from her," he said, a deadly tone in his voice.

Jungkook sat on the ground in shock, rubbing his jaw. "Y/N's my best friend. You can't tell me...", he started.

Hoseok cut him off with a quick swing of his hand. "No. You are nothing to her. Nothing. To. Her! Stay away from her or I swear I will kill you with my bare hands," Hoseok replied. He turned to go, rushing off after Y/N.

Jungkook pulled himself off the ground and followed behind Hoseok. He wanted to make sure Y/N was okay. He turned the corner of the school and saw Y/N wrapped in Hoseok's arms. She was sobbing harder than he had ever seen before and her words were coming out in pants.

"How could he say that to me? What did I do? It hurts so much right now. I hate him. I hate him. I hate him," she cried.

Jungkook's chest clenched at her words. He backed away silently. His beautiful best friend, his closest companion was heart broken. And it was entirely his fault.