Chapter 1

"Y/N! I got my mark!"

Y/N had been waiting outside the entrance of the university when she heard her name being called. She turned to see her best friend, Jungkook, running up to her, waving his hand in the air. He had a bright smile on his pretty lips and his dark hair was flopping in his face, obscuring his big eyes. "I'm so happy for you Kook! Let's see it!"

Jungkook excitedly pulled up the sleeve of his long sleeved black shirt, showing Y/N the mark that was on his wrist. Leaning down, Y/N studied the grey outline. It was a treble clef music note, the last line creating a heart rhythm. It was beautiful in its simplicity and fit Jungkook perfectly. Y/N knew the heart rhythm represented Jungkook. He was in his second year of medical school, studying to be a surgeon. Y/N's heart fluttered in her chest as she looked at the music note. Could it represent...?

"The music note? It must represent Mina, right?" Jungkook asked happily. Mina was Jungkook's girlfriend and was in the same music program as Jungkook. After the two girls had gotten to know each other, Y/N introduced Mina to Jungkook. The two hit it off and had been dating ever since. Their one-year anniversary had passed just a few months ago.

Y/N shrugged her shoulders, feeling her heart break a little. "It must be. It looks like you two are meant to be together after all." She tried to keep the tightness out of her voice and the smile on her face as she handed Jungkook a brightly wrapped box. "Happy birthday Kook."

Jungkook took the box, excitedly ripping the paper off before opening the box. Nestled on a bed of black velvet was a black stethoscope. He lifted it out of the box, his smile growing wider as he noticed the Dr. Jeon engraved on the flat silver surface. "I love it!" Wrapping his arms around his best friend, he pulled her into his arms, hugging her tightly. "Thank you so much sweetheart!"

Returning the hug, Y/N tried to ignore the little flutter in her heart at the nickname. The nickname that meant everything to her. Pulling away, she gestured towards the doors. "We better get going." As they walked into the university, Jungkook chattered on about how excited he was and how he couldn't wait until Mina got her mark and they could see that they were meant to be together.

As Jungkook talked, Y/N listened with half an ear, her thoughts focused elsewhere. She had known Jungkook since middle school. She had moved into the house next door to him and they had hit it off instantly. Jungkook had introduced her to his group of friends and they had been the best of friends ever since. They had gone through everything together: their first breakups, the loss of grandparents and pets, the ending of relationships, yet their friendship had stayed stronger than ever. From the first day she met him all those years ago, she had always had a crush on the cute funny boy, but over the years the crush had developed into something more. Knowing they would never be more than friends, Y/N tried to distract herself with other guys, choosing to date guys that were nothing like Jungkook. Unfortunately no one could compare.

Now knowing he had his soulmate mark, a mark that would match another woman in just a few short weeks, her heart broke knowing that she could never really have him. She had tried to prevent herself from falling in love with him, from letting herself want something she couldn't have, knowing he had a soulmate out there somewhere, but Jungkook was impossible to resist, impossible to walk away from.

Y/N was so lost in thought that she didn't see the person walking toward her until it was too late. Jackson Wang. Her ex-boyfriend. He had turned 23 two months ago. He had broken up with her immediately, not telling her why. Y/N had found out later that his soulmate mark was the same as one of her close friends, Lisa. The two had become inseparable, their relationship flourishing.

Y/N bumped face first into his hard chest, pain shooting through her nose. She stepped back quickly, tripping on her feet. Unable to catch herself, she felt herself lose her balance, knowing the smack of the cold marble would leave a mark. Instead of the marble, she felt a warm chest behind her and looked back to see Jungkook, worry on his face and her wrapped tightly in his arms. Y/N quickly pulled away, shaking off the strange sensation she got from the feeling his hard body behind hers.

Jungkook raised an eyebrow at her odd behavior. "You all right, Ms. Clumsy?" he asked, laughter in his voice.

Y/N's face flushed at his teasing then smacked his arm, a scowl on her face. "Don't be a bully. You're just as clumsy as me sometimes."

Jackson stood there quietly, watching the interaction between the two. "Hi Y/N," he said quietly, a small smile on his face.

Y/N had almost forgot the other man was there and the reason for her current state. "Hi Jackson. How are you?" Although they had been close, she had been hurt when he dumped her the way he did so she had no desire to stand here and make small talk, but her need to maintain her manners overruled the want to just walk away.

Jackson's smile disappeared at the cool but polite tone in her voice. He had felt terrible for hurting her, but it was just how it turned out. He had been dating Y/N for almost a year when he had woken up the morning of his birthday to discover his soulmate mark on his wrist. He was curious about the mark, wondering if his girlfriend would eventually have the same, but after that he didn't pay much attention to it. He left his small studio apartment to head to the coffee shop he went to every morning. Lisa was the barista behind the counter and saw his mark when he reached over to take his coffee. She dropped his coffee on the counter and grabbed his wrist. She pulled down the collar of her shirt to show him the matching soulmate mark.

Knowing whom his soulmate was, Jackson called Y/N and ended the relationship. He didn't tell her the truth, but instead gave her a lame excuse about growing apart. Although he loved Y/N with all of his heart, he knew that Lisa and him were meant to be together. They hid their relationship for two weeks, but were discovered when they ran into Y/N at the beach. She had seen them with their hands intertwined and their matching soulmate marks. Jackson explained what had happened, while Y/N listened with a stunned expression. Y/N congratulated them on finding each other, but had avoided them ever since. This was the first time Y/N had spoken to him since that encounter on the beach.

Jungkook could feel the tension in the air and subtly positioned himself between the two. He knew Y/N had been hurt when she found out the reason for the breakup and the way the two had kept it from her, the way the people who were supposed to care about her lied to her and she cried in Jungkook's arms fro over an hour. His heart had broken for his best friend and the way she had sobbed out her hurt and sense of betrayal. The only other time she had broken down like that was when her grandmother had passed away four years earlier. Jungkook had held her then too, trying to soothe the pain in her heart.

"How's it going Jungkook?" Jackson asked, noticing Jungkook's protective stance, the way he prevented him from getting closer to the girl at his side.

Jungkook nodded and smiled tightly. "Going good. You?" He tried to be polite, but he was still angry. He had talked about it with Y/N and she had explained she wasn't so upset about him breaking up with her, that she understood. Her hurt stemmed from the fact that she had been lied to and that was one of the things he knew that bothered her most.

Jackson returned the nod then turned to Y/N. "How are you?" he asked softly. Although he had a soulmate, he missed the pretty girl that he had fallen in love with.

Y/N gave him a bright, but fake smile. "Great." She turned to Jungkook, the fake smile disappearing and a genuine warm one lighting up her face. "Kook, I've got to go," she said. "I've got the performance to get to."

Jungkook ruffled her hair, causing the girl to frown and waved his hand away. "Good luck with it today," he replied. "I'll see you at lunch."

Y/N smiled and headed towards the music department without another word, leaving the two men watching her walk away, both of them lost in their own thoughts.