Chapter Twenty

Alaina POV:

I woke up again the next morning after a night of restless sleep. I didn't have anymore nightmares, through the night but then again, I didn't really get enough sleep to dream.

I didn't know weather or not I should tell Danny what my nightmare was about.  I just know that Ian had done worse.

I had three broken ribs. Two were on the left side and one was on the right side.

I know some things had happened that were worse than what I remember.

I didn't know how I would react when I did learn the whole truth.

I was sitting up in bed, just thinking of what else could have happened.

I didn't want to remember but if we were going to find Ian, I had to remember.

Danny sat up as he stretched and looked at me.

"Hey, baby." He said, his voice groggy from sleep.

"Hey." I said quietly and smiled at him. "Are you okay?" He asked me.

I had to tell him what happened. I can't hide it from him.

"I remembered somethin' last night. I had a nightmare." I told him. "What was it?" He asked.

I took a deep breath, trying to calm my nerves, before talking again.

"It was so dark and I couldn't move. That was when I heard Ian's voice. It was so much clearer this time."

My hands began to shake as I continued.

"He said I would regret leaving him. I begged him to stop and let me go but he told me to shut up and hit me." I said then looked at Danny. "So the memory you had last night, ties to the nightmare. Don't push yourself, okay? Just let them come naturally. You'll go crazy if you don't." He told me.

When I got to work that morning, I was sluggish. I shouldn't have gone into work but if I didn't then I would just try to force my memory back. Keeping busy was the only way that I would think about it less.

When I walked back to the office to let Sarah know I was there, she looked confused.

"What are you doin' here? I told you to take the week off." She told me. "You're here all alone. I couldn't bail on ya." I replied. "Yeah, you could." She argued.

I sighed and just looked at her. She knew the real reason I was there when I gave her that look.

She sighed, shaking her head.

"Behind the desk until your ribs heal, understood?" She asked, her tone authoritative.

"Yes, doctor." I said, playfully mocking Sarah. "Shut your face and sit the hell down. You know you ain't supposed to be movin' around too much." She ordered.

A woman with blonde hair had walked in and up to the front desk.

"Hello." I said with a polite smile.

"You have an appointment?" I asked. "No ma'am, I'm actually looking for Dr. Reyes. I'm an old friend." The woman replied.

I stood slowly, careful not to hurt myself and walked back to Sarah's office.

"Hey, there's a woman here to see you." I told her.

She followed me to the front desk and looked at the woman.

"Can I help you?" She asked.

"I'm sorry to show up like this, but I'm a friend of Cheyenne's. My name is Samantha." The woman said.

I looked at Sarah and saw that she had a smile on her face.

"She's told me about you. You're real life saver. What can I do for you?" Sarah asked.

"Well, I tried to call her but her number has been changed. I was wonderin' if I could get it from you if that's okay." Samantha said.

"I'll call her and let her know you're here. I'd give you the number but I would like to ask her permission first." Sarah said and pulled out her phone.

"Hey, sister. You'll never guess who walked into my office today."

I watched as she listened to Cheyenne on the other end.

"Samantha. She said she tried to call but the number was changed. She asked me to give you the new one but I wanted to ask you first."

"Okay, I'll let her know.. Love you too, sis." Sarah said and hung up.

"Good to go." Sarah said and smiled at her.

After giving Samantha Cheyenne's number she thanked her and left.

My head began to hurt and I got dizzy.

"You little slut!" I heard Ian yell as he kicked me in the ribs over and over again.

"You left me!" Kick. "Cheated on me!" Kick.

After the flashback was over I grabbed the corner of the desk.

"Are you okay?" Sarah asked as she caught me before I could fall.

"I remembered something. How my ribs got broken." I told her, breathing heavily. "What was it?" She asked. "It was like Ian lost his mind. He screamed horrible things to me, then kicked me. After each sentence, he kicked me." I said then looked at Sarah.

"Man, it was like I was there all over again."