Chapter Five

Alaina POV:

After the text I had gotten the day before, I was much more cautious.

My ex had found out that I left town. Honestly I had wondered what too him so long. I just hoped he didn't know where I had gone to yet.

"What's been up with you, Lanie?" Kade asked me as he fed Diana. "Nothin'." I replied. "Really? Because you've been acting weird since dinner yesterday and you've barely even gone outside." He replied. "I'm fine, I promise." I tried to reassure him. "Okay." He muttered before returning his attention back to his daughter.

All day at work the next day, I had myself convinced that he would come through the door. I could barely concentrate on my work.

I knew Sarah was getting fed up with it by the way she kept glancing at me.

After we closed up the clinic for the day, Sarah turned to me.

"What the hell is goin' on with you today, Lanie?" She asked. "What do you mean?" I asked her.

Sarah's frown turned to a scowl.

"Don't play stupid with me, Alaina. Why were you so distracted at work today?" She asked. "Sarah, it's nothin'. I just had an off day." I said.

I couldn't just tell her the truth because I couldn't get the MC involved into my mess. It would be hard on not only me, but them too.

Sarah didn't like my answer but finally let it go after my last comment.

Danny POV:

I was at the garage, helping Dean work on a bike.

I liked to come here and help him out once in a while. It helped clear my mind.

"Guys." Dean and I heard and looked up to see Kade.

"Hey brother. What's up?" Dean asked.

"It's Alaina." Kade replied.

I instantly stood straight, worried.

"What about her?" I asked. "She's been acting weird since dinner the other night. She barely left the house yesterday and today, Sarah told me she was so distracted she barely got anything done." He told me.

"I noticed her phone rang at dinner that night. She was fidgety the rest of the dinner." I said.

So this weird behavior has been going on for days now?

"Did she say why she left Memphis?" Dean asked. "To visit the twins." Kade said. "That the only reason?" Dean asked him. "Far as I know."

As far as he knows...

Good thing I'm a wiz with tech. Time to do some homework.

After hours of searching, absolutely nothing came up. Not one damn clue as to why Alaina was so nervous suddenly.

That woman is hiding something.

I needed to stop being an ass around her and actually gain her trust if this was going to go as planned.

After logging off the computer, I flopped down on the bed and turned the lamp off, hoping to get some sleep.

Alaina POV: 

The next morning, I woke up to my alarm ringing in my ear.

After turning it off, I noticed I had a text.

Unknown: Where did you run off to baby? I sure do miss you.

Oh God. Not again.

It seems he still doesn't know where I am but he could have just been fucking with me to give me a false sense of security and attack when my back was turned.

Either way, I wasn't letting my guard down.

I hadn't slept much the next few nights because of night terrors. I still hadn't told anyone about the messages and I didn't plan to unless they got threatening. I had no proof he was searching for me and I didn't even know if anything could be done about it at that moment.

"Laney, I need your help in here!" Sarah yelled frantically from the back of the clinic.

I rushed to the office and saw that Danny had a gun shot wound to his gut.

"When the hell did this happen?" I asked and rushed to put pressure on the wound.

"He came in just before you got here. A deal went wrong." Sarah said.

That seemed to be happening a lot lately. I didn't know why but from what I've heard from the MC that rarely happens.

"Again?" I asked.

I looked at Danny and saw that is face was pale and he was in and out of consciousness.

I slapped him hard in the face to wake him, which seemed to work.

"Stay with us, play boy." I told him as Sarah stitched up his wound.

Danny's breaths were very shallow and it began to worry me.

"Sarah, he needs a hospital." I told her, worriedly.

"You're right. He needs a transfusion or he won't make it."