Chapter Twenty Three

Danny POV:

Three days seemed to pass by in a blur. Laney hadn't been sleeping, and barely eating. 

She told me that when she closes her eyes, all she can see are the other women that Ian had victimized. 

Her depression and anxiety had gotten so bad that what little food she tries to eat, she can't keep down.

I was fixing breakfast, something light in hopes that Alaina would keep it down. She has a naturally quick metabolism, so she is rapidly losing weight. 

When she walked downstairs, she looked exhausted. Another night of no sleep.

"Hey, baby." I said, softly.

She didn't say anything; only wrapping her arms around my waist and rested her head on my chest.

I returned the gesture before kissing the top of her head.

"I've got breakfast ready." I told her.

She looked at the plate on the counter, seeing the scrambled eggs and toast.

"Do you think I'll be able to keep it down?" Laney asked. "I hope so. Will you try for me?" I asked her.

She gave me a soft smile before taking the plate.

She ate her food slowly, seeming to savor each bite. 

She was so hungry...

I just watched her for a moment before she caught me.

"What?" She asked softly.

I smiled lightly and shook my head.

"I love you." I told her, making her smile. "I love you, too." She replied.

I gathered food onto my plate and sat across from her.

She started to slow down, and her eyebrows creased. 

She rushed to the bathroom and knelt down over the toilet bowl.

I rushed after her, holding her hair back.

Laney started to dry heave when all the food she ate had come right back up.

"I'm so sorry, baby." I whispered.

When I said those words, she started to softly cry as she leaned against me.

"I'm so sick of this. I hate being afraid all the time. I'm so fuckin' hungry all the time but I can't keep it down and I don't know why." She said as her quiet cries turn into sobs.

"It's all the stress that's been put on you, baby. We should go see Sarah and see if you can get something for the nausea." I told her.

She only nodded and slowly stood up.

I didn't even bother asking her to change out of her pajamas before leaving.

When we got to the clinic Sarah's receptionist, smiled at us.

"How are you, Alaina?" She asked. "No better, to be honest." Laney replied.

"Is Sarah busy?" I asked her. 

Just then, Sarah walked out.

She hadn't seen us if a few days, so she was shocked to see how thin Laney had gotten. 

"God Alaina. Come in." She said and moved aside.

"You still can't eat?" Sarah asked. "No. Danny made something light this mornin' and I threw it up almost immediately." Laney said, weakly.

It was getting to the point she could barely stand because she was so weak.

"I'll get you something for your nausea. Please, for the love of God, make sure you eat. Just give the pill an hour or so to get through your system." Sarah told her, her voice wavering lightly.

"I will." Laney said and smiled lightly at her.

"Thanks Sarah." I said before leading Laney to the car.

It was Sunday so that meant family dinner.

Laney had taken her nausea meds not long before leaving so hopefully she'll be able to eat.

We sat at the table and for the first time in a while, we actually laughed together.

"Did you take your meds, Laney?" Sarah asked.

Laney just smiled lightly and rolled her eyes.

"Yes, mom." She replied.

"You able to keep it down so far?" I asked her. "So far, yeah. I'd usually be sick by now." She told me. 

I smiled at gave her a light kiss. "Good." I said.

______________

I know the chapter was a little short but I will try to do better next time. As always, I love y'all.