fourteen

Devon

I pace the apartment, anxiously awaiting Harry's arrival. This is probably a bad idea, but the feeling of happiness that rushed over me when I spoke to him over the phone couldn't be ignored.

He sounded so happy over the phone, talking about his girls. I can't picture him wearing fairy wings, but I'm sure he was. He told me a lot that he didn't have to, and I think that's why I felt a little better about seeing him in person. He was talking about a make believe gnome attack as if it were real, not just telling me that the girls were playing pretend. It was really sweet.

I'm not quite sure how tonight is gonna go. I could see him and instantly forgive him, not that I would tell him that of course. Or I could see him and want him to leave right away because it's too much. It's gonna just depend on him I guess.

For the millionth time I check my reflection in the mirror. I didn't change out of my work clothes, mostly because I felt cute enough and knew I would just panic over a new outfit if I tried to change. I tuck my hair behind my ears a few times, but end up untucking it and sighing. Nothing is helping me calm down.

Arden told me to text her if things go wrong or something happens, just so she could help me out. I don't want to have to do that, but I'm glad the option is there in case I need someone to cry to.

I check the time on my phone and sigh, seeing it's getting closer to eight. He already texted me that he was on his way over here, so any second now this buzzer should go off.

The girls change a lot with this relationship. I've already compiled a list of questions that need to be addressed before we decide to continue this relationship or not, and naturally they almost all revolve around those two. I just need to be prepared this time around. And if he lies to me anymore, I'm done for real.

If things work out between us, I'm gonna have to be involved in their lives. Not that it would be a bad thing, I mean, I love kids and definitely wouldn't mind having my own one day. But would him having two kids already put him off to the idea of having more kids? Two is a lot for some people. I'm not even sure I could handle two.

But I'm just gonna just take this one step at a time, and not overthink anything.

Just as I'm taking a few meditative deep breaths to ground myself and feel better, the buzzer goes off. "Hey, Devon it's me." Harry speaks through the intercom. I reach over, buzzing him in right away.

Maybe meeting at my place was a bad idea, it's just that not too many places are open that long after eight on a weekday, and I don't know how long this talk is going to have to be. Plus this is a pretty intimate conversation to be having and I don't really want people around to enjoy the spectacle. This is between Harry and I.

After a few minutes, there's a knock on my door and I take another breath before going to open it. A small smile takes over my face when I see his tattooed figure meekly standing in front of me, holding flowers in one hand and a bottle of wine in the other. He really does know how to make my heart race.

"You didn't have to bring me anything." I smile, taking the flowers as he hands them to me. He always brings the most beautiful and fresh flowers.

He walks in, closing the door behind himself as I go to get the flowers in water. "I did though. They are 'I'm sorry I was a dick' flowers." Once the door is locked he walks over, putting the wine bottle on the counter. "And this is 'I'm sorry I was a dick' wine."

"Well it's sweet. Thank you." I look at the label, smiling when I see it's one of my favorites. Maybe this won't be as bad as I thought. "How about I crack this open and we get to talking? And by me cracking this open I mean you doing it because I can never get the cork out."