sixteen

Devon

As I'm packing up my desk to head home from work, there's a knock on my office door. Alex, standing at the door with a pastry on a napkin. "You are the best!" I smile, walking over with a little pep in my step to take the pastry.

The senior directors had a big meeting today and I was desperate for a pastry since the bakery they order from is literally heaven. Taking a bite from the pastry, I walk back over to my desk. "Well you asked me a million times, thought I'd give in."

"You're leaving now?" I ask, putting it down on the glass top of my desk as I continue to put my folders away. He shakes his head, sitting down on one of my chairs, "No, but I'll walk with you down to your car."

With a nod, I finish packing up my tote bag for the day and sit down on my desk chair to finish the pastry. "Thanks, and Harry's picking me up today." I shrug, smiling a bit as I take another bite. God, these things are amazing.

"Harry? You're still talking to coke boy? I thought you guys stopped seeing each other?"

I shrug, sitting back and swiveling side to side in the chair. "We got back together like a month ago. And stop calling him coke boy, he doesn't sell cocaine." I grin, shaking my head at that recurring joke.

"You seemed really upset when you guys stopped talking. Are you sure it's a good idea?" Alex is always looking out for my best interest, which I really appreciate, but once he meets Harry he'll understand that he's a great guy.

I sigh softly, brushing some crumbs off the desk top. "Look, what happened was complicated and I'm not going to really go into it much but we talked and figured things out and he's making it up to me. But Alex..." I grin, sighing dreamily as I think about Harry. "God, he's just amazing."

Alex rolls his eyes and I laugh, "Oh, I'm just teasing. But come on, I could introduce you." I smile, getting up from my desk. I take my blazer off and hold it over my arm as I hoist my tote bag over my shoulder. Alex huffs, getting up from his seat to walk with me downstairs. I hook my arm in his with a grin, making small talk about work as we head downstairs.

Not to my surprise, Harry's Audi is parked right in front of the building. He also has a real family car with car seats in the back for the girls, but most of the time if he's working his mom takes his car since she'll be with the girls and needs the car seats. Harry's looking at his phone, texting as he leans against the side of the car.

"Harry!" I smile, getting his attention.

He smiles when he hears my voice and looks up, but his smile starts to fade when he sees Alex though. His eyes narrow a bit and his jaw sets. Is he really jealous?

We walk closer and Harry stands straight, putting his phone in his back pocket. "Dev, who's this?" He asks, pretending to be nice.

I just try to keep my happy personality, smiling between the two men. "Harry, this is my coworker Alex. Alex, this is my boyfriend Harry." I introduce, but Harry looks at me, furrowing his brows.

"You didn't mention Alex was a man?"

"Yeah well, Alex is right here and is ready to go back to work, so I'll see you tomorrow, Dev."

Great, that wasn't a good first impression at all. "Okay, I'll see you tomorrow. Save me a seat for that meeting okay?" I ask, giving him a quick hug like always. He puts his hand on the small of my back before nodding. "Of course."

He turns back to Harry, putting out his hand for him to shake. Harry just looks at his hand, pulling me into his side offering a nod in Alex's direction instead. "Nice to meet you." He says, but it's clear he didn't think it was nice at all.