forty three

Harry

Quietly, I pack up the car. It's dark out still, and Devon's still asleep, but I have a big surprise for her.

It's no secret that I haven't been the best boyfriend in the world. Not because I haven't been trying, but because my mental health just wasn't at a good place when we first started out. I'll spend the rest of my life making up for what I've put her through, but I'm hopeful that life will slow down and we could just enjoy each other again.

She really brings out the best in me. She has since day one when she made me smile. Somehow Devon's always known just how to creep into my life and make each and every day better and a little easier. I've never felt more in love with a woman in my entire life, and I just know that she's the one for me. I hope she's always in my life, especially as my lover.

Since she's gone so out of her way these past few months to accommodate my mental health and encourage me to be a better version of myself, I just wanted to plan something nice for her. My mum took the girls for the weekend so that I could take Dev on a spontaneous getaway. Mitch helped me plan a lot of it, and by Mitch I mean Sarah, since I know Mitch is not that romantic. I like this Sarah girl already, to be honest.

We have a bit of a drive before we get to this place, so I need to go and get Devon up soon before we run out of time. We have to get to the rental by noon, so I finish up getting everything into the car and head back inside. Thank god Dev packed a weekend bag to stay with me at my place, so I was able to put that right in the car. I also took a bunch of extra clothes of mine in case she wants to be cozy.

Going up the stairs, I climb into bed, gently kissing her cheek as I rub her back. "Dev... Lovely, it's time to wake up." I mumble against her cheek, chuckling softly as she incoherently groans and moves her head to cuddle more into the pillow. "We have a big day, but you have to get up for me, love." I mumble again, running my fingers through her hair.

I continue to prompt her to wake up, and finally I see my favorite eyes starting to open up, only they close quickly and she snuggles into the bed. "We aren't having middle of the night sex, I'm tired." she groans, and I can't help but laugh.

"We aren't, love. But you have to wake up."

"It's dark out."

"It's five in the morning, come on, we really have to go. I have a surprise for this weekend but if you don't wake up we can't do it." I grin, rubbing her shoulders gently. Finally, she takes a deep breath in and sighs, before turning on her back to look at me. With a gentle smile, I lean down, pecking her lips ever so gently. "Morning, love." I whisper.

"Morning." she mumbles back, but furrows her brows at me, "What do you mean you have a surprise?"

I get up, out of bed and smile over at her. "Well I can't tell you that. Come on, you could stay in your pajamas and sleep on the car ride over."

She continues to look at me from bed, obviously confused but she has the most adorable confused face. "Where are we going though?"

"Pretty girl, I'm giving you ten minutes to brush your teeth and get down to the car. Don't make me do a countdown like I do with the girls." Still, she just stares at me, half awake and confused. But the second the word 'ten' comes out of my mouth she's scrambling to get out of bed with a giggle, just like the girls.

I chuckle and shake my head, going downstairs to grab some extra snacks and turn the car on so it could warm up. It's pretty cold out for late October, but I know we'll still have a nice time spending the weekend together just being a couple.

Depending on how the weekend goes and if I feel like we're ready for it, I have a ring. I've had it for a while now, and I already asked her parents and brothers if it was okay, but I just want it to be perfect for her. Hopefully this weekend it happens, but I'm fine with it if I have to wait to make it perfect. She deserves that.