forty six

Devon

Harry parks the car in the driveway, and of course, Anne and the girls are waiting by the front door to greet us. I wave over at them, smiling before turning to look at Harry. He waves at the girls too and smiles at me, kissing my lips.

We decided to just pretend we didn't get married yet. We're gonna let Halloween pass, and then we'll break the news to everyone. We're planning on getting everyone to the house on November 2nd, since it'll have been a week since we got married and it's better to just do something like this on a weekend.

For now, our wedding rings are off but only because Anne's here. The girls won't really notice or know what they symbolize, so we'll be perfectly fine. Thankfully we ended up getting real wedding bands, and they look just amazing. I definitely miss having mine on my finger, but I have my engagement ring on, which is something.

Together, we get out of the car and get the bags from the back. I hated having to leave that beautiful house, but maybe one day we'll go back with the girls and just enjoy the beach together. It really was beautiful.

The girls and Anne go inside while we bring in the bags, but the second we put them down Oakley runs over to give me the biggest hug. I grin, hugging her close and kissing her head. "I missed you so much Oakie!"

"Miss you too!" She giggles before going to hug her dad. Annika comes over to me next, giving me another hug and a kiss. It's so weird how I'm married to Harry now, which means I'm in their lives forever. We've already talked about getting the legal documents in order so I could legally adopt them, which is insane to think about.

Anne grins over at me, waiting patiently to be able to see the ring. We did end up calling our families yesterday to tell them we got engaged, we just chose to leave out the wedding part. Everyone was very happy for us that we got engaged though, which was a relief. And I can't lie, it made me smile when dad told me about how Harry came to them for permission.

I know that he did that because I've been mending my relationship with them, and he wanted to make sure we were in a good place where if we got married it wouldn't set back the progress I've made with my father. That really does mean a lot to me, and it showed my dad that he and Harry got to a place where Harry feels comfortable asking to marry me, instead of just doing this.

Harry is very much against sexist traditions, like making me be a stay at home wife, or having me vow to be obedient to him. He actually thinks it's awesome that I make more money than him, and he's constantly telling the girls that I'm proof that they could be super successful as women in the future. So I know that him going to my father for permission wasn't about taking control over me. It was simply just him mending fences and telling my family he wants to marry me.

Going over to Anne, I hold my hand out as she grabs it, grinning as she looks at the ring. "It is gorgeous, Devon! Oh he did a wonderful job, it fits you perfect."

"Yeah, it really is beautiful. I was not expecting that to happen this weekend, but I'm very happy that it did." I grin over at Harry and he winks as he follows the girls to the playroom. My head shakes as I look back over at Anne. "So, we were thinking of having everyone over on Saturday, my family, your family. Gemma and her husband already said they could come, and my family said so too. Just to celebrate the engagement and have the families all together."

Anne nods, "Of course I will be here. Do you need me to bring anything?"

"No, no. Just yourself. Dress nicely though, we want to do pictures and stuff. It'll be like a little party." I let her know, and she nods again.

After a while, Anne leaves and I go to join Harry and the girls in the playroom. They're busy showing him the pictures they drew. Oakley is also showing him her new 'tattoos' which are just marker drawings all over her arm. And I must say, it is pretty adorable. We are gonna have trouble with her though, that's for sure.