twenty four

Devon

The sound of my phone ringing pulls me away from cleaning out my closet. I had taken the day off from work so that I could clean out the apartment and take an inventory of things I own since I always love to donate things around the holidays. I'm always rotating through my things since I'm always getting new clothes from the brand or from other brands who put me on their lists.

I rush over to the kitchen counter where I left my phone and pick up, smiling when I hear Harry's voice. "Hi lovely!"

"Hi angel! How's work going?" I ask, smiling.

He sighs, "I'm running over, actually. I don't know if this is too much of me to ask, and if you're uncomfortable with it I could just have her bring the girls to the shop, but my mum can't watch the girls past four because she's going away for the weekend and has to leave. Would you mind picking up the girls from her place? You could say no, I would definitely understand."

My heart stops at what he's asking. I've never met his mom before and now he just wants me to show up to her place and get the girls from her. "Their car seats?" I ask, trying to buy time to think of if I really want to do this.

"The other car is with her at her place, she'll give you the key and we could get your car later on if you get them."

He really does need me to get the girls. He doesn't have car seats for them and his mom can't drive two cars at once. He can't even move the car seats to the Audi since it's a two seater. He's asking for my help. I can't just leave him hanging. "Okay, I'll head over there now."

He lets out a sigh of relief, "Thank you so much, Dev. I owe you big time. Just swing by the shop with them and I'll give you the keys to my place so you could take them home. Thank you so fucking much Dev."

I smile a bit, going to make sure my tote has everything I'll need before I leave. "You don't have to thank me so much, H. Just let your mom know that I'm not like, kidnapping them." I tease, knowing it might look weird if I just show up to take the girls and she has no idea who I am.

"Of course, she knows who you are and I told her I was gonna ask you to come get them. This wasn't exactly how I wanted you to meet her, but I mean, I know you'll do fine." He assures me, and I can't help but smile about how the roles are reversed. Usually he's the one freaking out and I'm trying to calm him down.

He gives me some more information before we hang up and I rush out the door to go get the girls. Since I've been to his mom's house before, unknowingly at the time, I start to make my way over there. As I'm driving, I repeat to myself how everything's gonna be okay and this is normal.

Harry trusts me with the girls, like a lot obviously. He's letting me drive them in a car and spend time alone with them. It's been about a month since Harry and I started actually being a couple around them, so the timing kind of makes sense, but I think I would feel like it was too soon no matter when he let me take the girls on my own.

Once I get to Anne's house, I park, taking a deep breath. I make sure I have everything I need from my car, which isn't much, before walking to the front door. It's like PTSD or something, staring at this door again. The last time I was here didn't go too well. A part of me is half expecting Jamie to come back from the dead and open the door.

Finally, I ring the bell, holding on tight to the strap of my bag to stop my hands from shaking. You know, Harry really does owe me one for throwing me in to meet his mom all by myself.

The door opens, and it feels like I'm back to that August day when Annika opened the door and changed the course of my life forever. Only this time, she's surprised to see me in a good way. "Devon!" She squeals, quickly hugging my legs.