twenty seven

Devon

I was surprised when Harry said he still wanted to meet my family after everything that happened. I told him a few times that he didn't have to and that it was okay if we pushed it back, but he was adamant about meeting them.

Anne is watching the girls tonight so we could go out to dinner, but I can't lie, I wish we were just staying home with Annika and Oakley. I already know this is going to not be so great, and it might not be what our relationship needs at the moment. We're in such a weird spot still, and my parents being standoffish could ruin everything.

The girls show me some of their paintings they did with Anne while Harry and I were getting ready. Harry's just finishing up getting ready, but I already had makeup on so it took me less time to get ready. I just threw on a cute dress and put my hair back in a low ponytail with a few pieces out in my face.

Harry is not what my parents are going to be expecting. They've really only seen pictures of him from behind or if they're really blurry, mostly because I know if they see his tattoos and piercings they'll be biased against him. At least now they know he treats me well and hopefully they won't judge too harshly on his looks. Conrad knows the most and he's definitely nervous about mom and dad's reactions.

"Ready to go?" Harry asks, finally coming down the stairs. I look over, smiling a bit at his outfit choice. Since he's been nervous about meeting my parents, he picked out a long sleeve button down, but it has a pattern to it. It's still black, but I can tell it's something he's just gotten since we started dating. His hair is wild and loose, but it still looks handsome. I can't imagine ever telling him to cut his hair.

He still has his cross earring and his nose and eyebrow piercings in, but they don't look crazy or anything. Thankfully he hasn't pierced his lip over again yet, because I think he could get away with this. He just looks handsome, and even if things are weird for the time being, I still love him. When I'm with him, things feel okay again.

"Yeah, I'm ready." I nod. Turning back to the girls, I give them hugs and kisses. "See you two tomorrow, okay? Be good for grandma." I warn, and they both agree.

Harry comes over to them when I get up, giving them kisses and telling them we'll be home later and that he loves them. I look away slightly, knowing it's selfish of me to be jealous that he can tell his daughters that but not me. I mean, they're literally his world.

We say bye to Anne before going to get in his car. I look over at him as he starts the car, and as I go to hold his hand like I usually do he moves it to hold the steering wheel. My gaze falls slightly, but I try to just tell myself that he didn't do that on purpose. He's just nervous, he told me that already.

"You look handsome. I like this shirt a lot on you, angel." I smile up at him.

He smiles slightly, keeping his eyes on the road, "Thanks, babe. Figured I'd try something new and soften the look up for your parents." He shrugs, and I reach up to lightly scratch at the nape of his neck like I know he enjoys.

"They're gonna like you. They might be a little weird at first, but don't take it too personally. Every other guy they've met is like... average, momma's boy lives with his parents still. You are definitely not like them, but not in a bad way."

"Well I technically do live with my mom." he teases, smiling over at me. Good, we could still joke.

My eyes roll teasingly and I shake my head with a smile, "The difference is that you own your house and have two daughters that you need help with. You own your own business, you're successful, handsome, sweet, great in bed..." I tease back, leaning closer to kiss his cheek as he grins, his dimples going crazy.