Chapter 4 - I came to find you

"So, have you and Bennett made peace yet?'' Lilly asks as she takes off her shoes and makes herself comfortable on my bed.

It's been a week since Bennett and his parents had dinner at our house and he apologized to me. It just wasn't totally terrible because his parents were there and it's always nice being around them.

However, Bennett and I weren't exactly on the best terms, so we just kept quiet most of the night.

I was in a bad mood because I waited the whole week to see Dylan and he wasn't there, so that part was no fun.

Bennett and I haven't spoken the entire week after that and he didn't give me any more rides, even though he offered it to my mom. It was my time to make excuses so I didn't have to be alone with him.

''There's nothing to make peace about, we haven't talked since Friday. I don't get it, you know? Ever since summer is over, he's more annoyed with me than usual. It's like I did something to him." I consider the situation and it's so true.

I don't know what his problem is lately.

''Maybe you did.'' She looks at me seriously, with an expression I know so well.

''Oh Lilly, you can't feed this fantasy of yours about Bennett having a crush on me. There's absolutely no reason for you to think that, it's actually the opposite, so drop this.'' I throw a pillow at her face, but she catches it before it hits her.

''All I'm saying is that it wouldn't be impossible.''

''How would you even know?'' I narrow my eyes at her, but she just shrugs. Sometimes I have the feeling she knows something I don't. ''It's not only impossible, it's nonsense. Why don't we focus on Connor's party instead? Which one do you like, the blue or the green one?''

I put both dresses in front of my body and she considers my options.

I'm looking forward to wearing these new dresses Sarah made me buy. She said they are a perfect fit to my body type and she wasn't wrong. They indeed make me feel good about myself.

''The green one. It will be perfect with your black jacket.''

I'm putting the blue dress back to its place in the closet when we hear a knock on the door and I tell whoever is there to come in.

''Hey, Mrs. Harper.'' Lilly smiles as she greets my mom.

''Lilly, darling. It's good to see you.'' They engage in a conversation and I wait for them to finish catching up.

''Mom, we need to get ready. Do you need anything?'' I'm not being rude, it's just that I know how she works. She starts talking and forgets the reason why she's actually here for.

''Oh, right. Denise called me to say that Peter forgot his wallet here last night. Do you mind stopping by on the way to the party to give it back to him?''

The Wests had dinner here last night as they do every weekend, but I didn't join them this time. I went to the movies with Lilly instead, which was good, because I didn't want to have another awkward Friday night in Bennett's company.

And I knew in advance that Dylan wasn't joining, so another reason to skip it.

''Sure mom.'' I don't mind stopping by their house, even knowing that Dylan is not around today.

''Great. You two have fun, but not too much.'' She seems to think of what else she's supposed to say. ''Oh, yes, and don't drink.''

She smiles, not really meaning it. My parents have always been cool with me going to parties as any normal teenager would. As long as I know my limits, don't do drugs or go home with strangers, they are kind of ok with it.