Chapter 6 - Who says you have to fit in?

''Wow, there are a lot of people here.'' Lilly whispers to me, as if anyone could hear us.

It's Saturday afternoon and we are at the West's house because Denise is having a small get together. However, what I thought would be just a few people turns out to be a bigger party.

My dad said it would be just our families, plus a few friends of hers from her work, but there are way too many people here. I'm just glad he let me invite Lilly, that way I don't feel so out of place.

It's not exactly a party, but it does feel like it. Only the adult kind. You don't see people going around with red cups or loud music blasting everywhere. It's just nice chattering, soft lounge music and wine drinking in the politest way, with everyone dressing nicely.

Opposite to the indecent clothes many people our age would probably choose as an outfit.

Thank God I'm wearing a cute navy blue dress that is fancier than what I'd normally wear and it actually makes me feel older than seventeen.

I can't lie, I miss my red converse.

''What's the occasion again?'' Lilly asks, looking around.

''Lawyer stuff, they won in court or something like that. My mom said that Denise wanted to celebrate the success of a big case.'' She nods, not asking further.

Not that I'd be able to give her any details, because I have no idea. I'm not even sure what we are doing here. I just wanted an excuse to see Dylan, while Lilly probably came for the food.

I don't blame her. Denise always hires the best catering, so it's hard not to chase the silver platter and grab as much finger food as you can.

Not that I'll be doing that today. If I do, they will think I'm weird. I'll just sneak into the kitchen later.

I start looking around looking for Dylan, because that's the main reason I came after all, but there's no sign of him.

I thought a lot about how it would be when I met him after last night. I'm curious to see if he'll pretend that yesterday never happened or if he'll bring it up.

I'm not expecting anything special, we just watched movies together, but he did say that we should hang out again, so maybe it's finally my chance.

Although I can't find him anywhere, I do find Bennett.

He's in an excited conversation with my mom. As excited as he can be at least. Bennett looks so comfortable amongst adults that it's easy to forget he's a teenager. He looks so grown up and he definitely fits in this crowd. At least he looks happier to hang out here than with most people our age, including me.

I'm sure he will adjust just fine when he goes to college. He'll be the type that goes to all lectures and doesn't sweat at all to get all assignments done. While some of us will struggle to keep up, I'm sure he'll be the opposite.

Looking at him now and the way he's talking to my mom, like whatever she is saying is so interesting, it makes me feel annoyed and stupid.

He never talks excitedly – or talks at all – with me, even when I try talking to him. Ok, that doesn't happen very often, but it's only because he never engages in whatever I'm saying.

Does he think I'm not smart or interesting enough to have a deeper conversation with?

Well, by the way he usually looks at me, he probably does think I'm stupid.

Sometimes I wonder if he's even from this century, you know? Maybe he's the reincarnation of a lord from the 18th century. Or a time traveler. That would explain a lot.