Chapter 8 - We definitely are

I'm sitting at the cafeteria outdoor area when a deep voice gets me out of my own thoughts.

"What are you doing outside?''

When I look up, I see Bennett holding his tray with a big bowl of salad and a bottle of juice. I look down at my cheeseburger and I can't help but think that he's annoyingly healthy.

''I needed fresh air, that's all.'' I'm not in the mood to tell him that the reason why I'm outside is so I don't lose my shit, because I'm pissed off with Mr. Perkins for being an asshole.

This horrible teacher loves Bennett with the same intensity that he hates me and I'm sure Bennett feels the same way about him, so I can't tell him that the guy is a psychopath.

Can you believe he confiscated my phone when I barely even looked at it? Which is fine, I shouldn't be using it in class in the first place, but then Maya, a girl who sits in front of me, literally answered a phone call in his face and he didn't do anything.

I was livid.

No wonder why everyone calls him Mr. Jerkins.

I'm proud to say that I was the one who gave him the nickname. It suits him, I know.

''Where's Lilly? And why are you alone?'' I focus on the confused boy in front of me as he looks around. I wonder if he's concerned that I'm here alone or if he's looking for Lilly.

Wait, since when Bennett cares about where Lilly is?

"She didn't come to school today. She's sick."

I shrug and take a bite of my lunch, savoring every piece of it. Right now, I don't care that he's going to judge me for my unhealthy food choice.

''Ok, that doesn't answer why you are alone though.'' He says and I grunt.

I guess he's not looking for Lilly then. Why am I even thinking about this? Stop overthinking, Alex.

''I'm not feeling great, so I don't want to deal with anyone today.''

I don't know why I said it to him, I guess it's just to get him off my back. I don't even get why he's here talking to me instead of being inside with his friends.

''Can I sit?'' He asks, already pulling his leg up over the wooden bench and I raise an eyebrow, because well, he's already sitting, so what difference would it make to say no?

Which part of 'I don't want to deal if anyone' didn't he get?

''What's going on with you?'' I frown at his inquisitive tone. ''You can talk to me, you should know that.''

Should I? I mean, he has been nice to me lately, but I'm still not sure how I feel about it. Especially today, but it's not his fault that I'm annoyed with school.

Ok, it's not just that. I'm annoyed with something else too. It's been five days that I went on my date with Dylan and we haven't spoken since Friday.

I've barely gotten any sleep since that day as I keep thinking why Dylan's kiss didn't feel magical like I always thought it would.

Don't get me wrong, I liked it, I liked it a lot, it just wasn't what I always thought it would be.

Lilly said that I shouldn't worry about it too much. It's probably because I put my expectations so high that it would be hard to meet whatever I had pictured in my mind. As I'll probably be less nervous the next time it happens, she's sure I'll feel it.

I mean, that is if there is a next time. And that's a big if. A huge one.

What if he didn't feel anything special just like I didn't? It might have been just another kiss to him, like so many other girls he kissed, but it was a big deal to me. Even if I didn't feel butterflies, it was still my dream coming true.