Chapter 12 - Too good to be true, uhn?

It's funny how a simple conversation has the power to change things. Since Bennett and I talked yesterday at the library, I feel closer to him than I've ever been.

It's weird and it's nice at the same time. It doesn't really mean anything, it's not like we have a super connection now, but I'm happy that we're getting along, especially because Dylan and I are on really good terms, which means that if we start dating - something that I hope will happen soon - it will just make things easier.

Not to mention that one day Bennett could be my brother in law and being his friend will make it even better. Yeah, call me crazy, but I'm still dreaming about my wedding with Dylan.

I confess that I have been planning it since I was twelve, but I'm not that crazy, so it's not like I want to get married anytime soon.

My plan is to graduate from college and get married in about three years after that on a rooftop in Manhattan - very specific, I know. It gives me and Dylan enough time to kick off our careers, that I still don't know what will be.

I should probably be thinking about what I want to do for a living instead of daydreaming about Dylan, but I can't help it.

''Earth to Alex.'' Lilly's voice startles me as she sits next to me in the auditorium.

Today we have a student council meeting and Mr. Cromwell, our principal, is going to make some announcements. You know, that kind of thing that no one cares about, but we attend because 1) it's mandatory and 2) it's a great reason to hang out with your friends instead of having classes.

I scan the room and I find Bennett on the other side, so we wave a quick hello to each other, before that friend of his - the one that flirted with him a while ago when he offered to tutor me - touches his arm to get his attention back to her.

''So, Lil, where is your mysterious co-star? Is he here?'' I look around trying to find Harris, but I don't see him anywhere. ''I must say, he is pretty hot by the picture I sa--''

''Shh, will you be quiet? Someone might hear you.'' She cuts me off and abruptly pulls my arm in her direction, making me sit down on my chair with a loud thud.

''Would that be such a bad thing?'' I try not to laugh while I adjust my cardigan on the arm that she pulled.

''Yes, people will think I'm interested in him.'' I raise an eyebrow. ''and I'm not!''

''I think you are.'' She blushes again and I know I caught her there.

''No, no, I'm not into him because I'm... well, uhn...'' She seems to be thinking of an excuse. ''There's another guy I'm interested in. Yeah, that's it. It's been a while now.''

She blurts out and plays with her hair. I analyze her for a few moments and although she seems to be acting a bit off, I look at her seriously. I know I said she was thinking of an excuse, but what if it's not?

What if she just didn't want to tell me that she likes someone?

''Who?'' She doesn't say anything. ''Lilly, come on, you have to tell me. Who is he?''

She looks away from me, a blank expression on her face. What the hell is going on with her? She wouldn't lie about something like this, would she?

''No one important, seriously, never mind.'' Lilly is so lucky, because the moment I was about to inquire further, the principal's voice echoes on the mic and I can't continue my imminent interrogation.

For now, at least. I'm not letting this go though.

Lilly is finally into someone and that's huge. She has gone on a few dates with some random guys from our school and even a college guy, but that's pretty much it. Nothing to the point of really liking them, so this is the first time.