surprise visit

3:02pm

i continue staring at my photo a little bit longer, chuckling once more at how i used to look. i wish i was that innocent again.

i put the photo away, just as i start to hear footsteps walking towards my room. the door opens slowly and michael's head pokes in, looking as sleepy as ever.

his eyes are open halfway and he yawns as he speaks, causing his words to be less understandable. "i thihnk sohmone's ouhtshide."

i still understood him, though, and my eyebrows furrow. you've got to be kidding me.

i make my way to my window, looking out to get a perfect view of the front of my apartment.

"no way," i say, my eyes widening, "no fucking way."

before i know it, i find myself running out from my room, across the living room, and out the front door. like a little boy running towards his gifts on christmas day.

"surprise!" my dad, ben, and jack all shout at the same time as i run towards them, arms already outstretched.

the last time i saw them was more than a month ago, when i was with vada. i hadn't realized up until now how much i missed them.

they pull me in for a group hug, and i still can't believe what's happening. i hug them tighter, feeling as though i really need it at the moment.

"what are you guys doing here?" i say, pulling away from the hug, "you could've told me you were coming. would've prepared a bit more, and made michael leave earlier."

"well, you hadn't been going home in more than a month, so we figured we'd come to you instead," dad says as we walk towards the front door, "and, heck, michael knew about this whole thing! we asked him to make sure you stayed at home this afternoon."

we enter the apartment, and michael is there, smiling sleepily as he sits back down on the couch.

"hi, mr. hemmings. hi, jack. hi, ben," he smiles, "i'm glad to be of service to the hemmings boys."

i look around, noticing that they brought bags with them, "so, what are we going to do this afternoon?"

i glance towards my room anxiously as they start rummaging through their bags.

don't get me wrong, i'm happy that they were thoughtful enough to visit me. it's true that i hadn't gone home in more than a month. i just didn't have the energy for anything lately aside from school and basketball, i started to forget about the things that should've mattered.

"we don't have anything planned, really," ben says, placing bottles of beer in my fridge, "just really felt the need to catch up."

i put on a fake smile, wanting nothing more than to do anything except catch up.

my family has no idea what's going on with vada, and what she did. and to be honest, i don't know if i can tell them. they love vada. i don't want to break their hearts, too.

"where's petunia?" jack asks, looking around.

"long story," michael says, "but she's okay."

"are you joining us, michael?" ben asks as he continues putting bottles in my fridge, "so i know if i'll put some in for you."

michael makes a face, and i know he remembered the taste of his own vomit, "thanks jack, but i'll pass. i'll fall asleep right on this couch faster than you can say beer."

"you did!" jack laughs, setting his bottle down, "i swear, you were always begging me to teach you how to do your hair! and the one time i didn't, you looked like absolute shit in your class photo."