nightmare

2 DAYS BEFORE PROM

"why?" luke cries, "why'd you do this to me?"

"because you deserve it." maurine says simply as she crosses her arms.

"i backed out, luke, i swear!" i say in a pleading tone, "but maurine still wanted to push through with it, and i didn't know that she was going to do this. luke, i swear i wanted to back out as soon as the mission started-"

"the first time i decide to open my heart to something real," he sobs, "and it's all because of some stupid mission?"

"luke, please, what i feel for you is real-"

"you deserve this, luke," maurine says spitefully, "after all the hearts you broke, this was the right thing to do."

"no!" he shouts, "no one deserves this shit! i did everything for you, vada. you showed me what real love was. why would you do this?"

"it wasn't real love luke," suddenly a girl other than maurine speaks up, "everything she did was for show."

"n-no, luke," i sob, "i really did fall for you. please, luke, don't listen to them."

"vada, shut up!" maurine exclaims, "you did everything you did for the mission, and the mission alone, we all knew that. stop trying to save yourself."

"luke, please listen to me-"

"luke, you deserve to be with someone who likes you for real," the random girl says spitefully, "choose me. i've been here the whole time. vada doesn't deserve you."

"luke," i sniffle, feeling tears roll down my cheeks violently, "please. look at me. please, don't believe them."

"t-tell me, petal," he croaks out, "tell me this isn't real. and i'll believe you."

"holy shit." i gasp, jolting up from bed.

i read the time on my bedside clock, seeing that it's 5:56am.

i stand up slowly from bed, still feeling the racing of my heart. i make my way to the bathroom and look at my reflection in front of the mirror.

beads of sweat are trickling down my forehead, the color has drained from my face, and my eyebags are huge.

"fuck." i breathe out as i clutch tightly onto the edge of the sink.

i try to steady my breathing, still very much feeling my heart beating at a dangerously fast rate.

it was that dream again.

i've dreamt that same exact dream for the fourth time now, and at each dream, everything gets more and more intense and detailed.

"it's like real life inserting itself in my dreams." i mumble to myself as i look down on the sink.

in the first dream, i recall not feeling guilty at all. i was such a heartless bitch, not really caring that luke was a sobbing mess in my dream.