teenagers

5 DAYS BEFORE PROM

"seatbelt?" luke says the second we get in his car.

"check." i answer, clicking it in place.

"you excited, sunny?" he asks as he starts driving.

"hell yeah," i answer, smiling, "very."

today, we're going to the carnival with ashton, calum and michael. maurine can't come cause she already had prior plans.

i had to stop myself from breathing out a sigh of relief, when she told me that she couldn't come over the phone.

i'm a bit of an adrenaline junkie, so the ideas of rollercoasters and rides excite me more than they should.

"are you excited?" i ask luke, "i'm riding every rollercoaster there, i swear."

luke stays silent at this, and i look over at him to see him biting down on his lip ring.

he looks nervous.

"luke?" i giggle, "you okay?"

"uh..." he starts, "i hadn't told you this yet, but i kinda have a fear of rollercoasters."

my eyes widen at this, and i can't believe my ears.

"what?" i ask, "but you're the one that asked me to go to the carnival with you! and you're the one that's scared, hemmings?"

"nyenyenye," he mocks, "cause i was thinking we'd just do the cute stuff, ya know? ferris wheels, photobooths, and those games where i'll try and win you the largest teddy bear on the shelf. i didn't know you'd really wanna ride those rollercoasters."

"well, i'm riding those rollercoasters," i answer straight away, "with or without you."

"can we still do all the cute stuff, though?" he pouts, "can we ride the ferris wheel? and take pictures on the photobooth? and can i try and win a large stuffed toy for you?"

"i'll think about it." i answer playfully, having the largest smile on my face.

"let's fucking goooo!" michael shouts the second we all enter the carnival.

"teenagers." we hear a middle-aged woman mutter to her husband.

"michael, calm down, yeah?" ashton chuckles as we walk further inside.

"what do you guys wanna ride first?" i say as i eye all the different rollercoasters surrounding us, "the one with a loop? the one that puts us upside down all throughout? or the one that's really fast?"

my heart is beating so fucking fast, and i'm certain i sound like a kid, but i'm so excited.

i smile widely as i take in the view of my surroundings. different, colorful rides. a lot of different booths and mini games. a lot of different carnival food like cotton candy, caramel apples, and hotdogs. and so many smiling people.

"i thought we were gonna do the cute stuff?" luke whines next to me.

"the cute stuff?" calum teases, "who are you? what have you done to luke?"