three am

TW: panic attack caused by stress & pressure read at ur own risk my loves

6 DAYS BEFORE PROM

the time reads 3am. and i am absolutely losing my mind.

i don't regret telling luke how i feel about him.

i do, however, regret my lack of planning.

what happens next? what do i do with maurine? do i tell her? or should i pretend that i'm still keeping this whole thing up?

i feel my palms start to sweat and my heart start to beat faster as i remember the conversation maurine and i had over the phone earlier.

i had just gotten home from my mini escape with luke, and my happy bubble burst instantly upon seeing that maurine was calling me.

"hey, superstar!" maurine chirps the second i answer the phone, "how are things?"

nothing big, really.

i just told luke that i have feelings for him. that's it.

"nothing much, maurine." i answer simply.

"awww," maurine says, and i know she's pouting, "really? nothing new's going on?"

"nothing new." i deadpan.

"prom's in less than a week, v," she reminds, "you need to be working extra hard right now."

"the guy hasn't even promposed to me, maurine," i deadpan, "how are we so sure that i'm going to be his prom date?"

"vada, he'll prompose, i'm sure of that," she says, "and why am i sensing that you don't wanna push through with this again? why am i not hearing enthusiasm in your voice anymore?"

"i- i still wanna push through with this," i lie, "i'm just tired, maurine. i had a long day."

"alright then," she answers simply, "get your head in the mission, v, okay?"

"okay." i answer simply.

"we have less than a week. you need to have luke wrapped around your finger by prom night, alright?" she says, "i don't want to just make him cry, vada. i want you to destroy him."

i'd rather destroy myself, fucking hell.

i stay silent at this.

"for me, remember?" she says softer this time, "remember why you're doing this."

you're crazy, maurine.

"i'm sleepy, maurine." i answer simply.

"goodnight, vadaroo," she says, "love ya."

"mhm, love you, too." i mumble, my words sounding quite unclear, and then end the call without waiting for her reply.