orange juice

19 DAYS BEFORE PROM

when i was 6 years old, i had the most embarrassing moment of my life.

that embarrassing moment lasted for about three whole hours, to be exact.

it was one of those kid hangouts my mom and her friends would organize. normally, they would just leave us in a room with a bunch of toys, or leave the television on for us to watch all the cartoons we want.

but for this particular one, they set up an inflatable pool in our backyard.

as a kid, of course i didn't have a single care in the world. i just swam, ran, and played with the other kids. i didn't give a shit about anyone or anything.

then, little by little, i started to notice the kids around me start to whisper to each other. not only whisper, but some would also giggle as they looked at me.

i brushed it off, and continued to enjoy myself.

big mistake.

once playing and swimming time was over and the other kids left with their mothers, my mom finally paid attention to me after drinking a hefty amout of wine with her girl friends.

her eyes grew wide and urgent, "vada claudine! did you do that on purpose?!"

"do what, momma?" i asked, completely confused.

she carried me and brought me to the nearest mirror, and my eyes widen in horror at the view of my bare, untanned, ass crack.

the lower middle part of the back of my swimsuit had been ripped open entirely, and i didn't even notice.

let's just say that she had to console a very hysterical 6-year-old girl for the rest of the day.

i thought that that was the most embarrassing moment of my life.

i didn't know what i was in for today.

maurine, ashton and i are currently walking towards our usual table at the cafeteria, all of us carrying our own trays of food.

we take our seats, and maurine's eyes instantly narrow at something she's looking at from a distance.

"what's wrong, maurine?" i ask, then take a bite from my usual egg sandwich.

"fern's looking over here," she says, "and i think she's staring at you. she looks like she's angry or something."

"don't stare back, maurine, geez," ashton chuckles, "have you got a death wish or something?"

"she's the one with a death wish." maurine mumbles as she eats her french fries angrily.

"as long as she doesn't touch me, we need to keep our cool, okay?" i say, "just leave her be."

"we stan an unbothered queen." maurine smiles.

we continue eating our meals, and our annoyance with fern has been long forgotten.

"how was training yesterday?" i ask ashton, since i chose not to watch.

"same same," he answers, "except for luke."