necklace

4 DAYS BEFORE PROM

the time reads 4:30am. i'm up this early because luke asked if we could hang out for a bit at my secret spot before we head to school.

"you're here already?" i ask luke through the phone as i grab my things quickly, "wait-"

"i know, i know," luke chuckles, "go on and check all the electricity and appliances. i'll wait, petal."

"thank you." i mumble sheepishly.

i start to walk around my apartment hurriedly, with the phone still pressed to my ear.

"light switches turned off," i mumble to myself, "check,"

"faucet in the bathroom," i mumble again, "check,"

"faucet in the kitchen," i whisper, "check."

"did you unplug everything that needs to be unplugged?" luke asks.

"mhm," i answer, tugging at my charger, "just did."

"good," he says, "can you come out now, please?"

i turn the final light switch off, and make my way out the door, immediately greeted by a beaming luke hemmings leaned against his car.

he's wearing a white button-up long sleeved polo, which is far from his usual dark colored t-shirts and leather jackets.

"you look nice." i smile at him as he opens the car door for me.

"only for you." he answers, smiling, then closes the door shut.

he makes his way to the drivers seat, and gets in.

"seatbelt, sunny." he says as he starts to drive.

"right," i answer, smiling slightly, "i always forget."

luke starts to drive, and we're on our way to my secret spot, the sun hasn't started rising yet as we sing the songs playing on luke's radio.

luke and i are currently sitting down side to side on my blanket, with the view of the sunrise in front of us.

some lights in buildings and houses are still turned on, while other establishments still have their lights turned off.

it's too early for anyone else to be awake at this time, so it feels as though luke and i have the whole silent, calm world to ourselves. no one around to disturb us, and no one around to ruin our peace.

"i just realized something cool." luke says, breaking the comfortable silence around us.

"what's that?" i ask, not yet removing my gaze from the beautiful sunrise in front of us.

"can you imagine the different types of people down there?" he asks, gesturing towards the different buildings and houses below us, "everyone, and i mean everyone down there are all living their lives differently. they're all about to go on this day differently."

"interesting," i nod, starting to gaze down on the establishments ,"tell me more."

"like, it's 5am, right?" luke says, "some people are currently waking up this early to go jogging, go to work, go on a walk, go hiking or biking,"