vada

i'd like to think that i lead the life of the usual, average teenage girl.

staying up until the sun comes up to watch shows on netflix? check.

midnight snacking even though i know i'm going to feel like shit the next day? check.

failing algebra? check.

a lot of acquaintances but only a few close friends? check.

it's not entirely boring, but it's not that eventful either. i think my life is smack dab in between those two adjectives.

no, i've never experienced even a tiny bit of teenage drama, ever.

no, i don't have a slim figure with those abs you can flaunt when wearing a cropped top and sweats.

and, no, i most definitely do not gave a hot boyfriend that i can flex and that spoils me with everything i could possibly need.

that's why, as i was running up the stairs after getting home from school, i somehow felt like that was going to change soon.

"i kissed a girl and i liked it," i sing softly as i enter my room, "the taste of her cherry cha-JESUS CHRIST!" i drop my belongings and clutch my chest.

my eyes focus on the blond-haired girl wearing pajamas, who's sprawled all over my bed as she stares up at the ceiling.

"maurine?" i say, trying to catch my breath, "what are you doing here?"

i had just gotten home from school and was, of course, not expecting anyone to be here.

"hi." maurine says softly, not looking up at me and still not moving an inch as she continues staring up at the ceiling.

"you nearly gave me a heart attack, maurine," i exhale, "what are you doing here? why didn't you go to school today?"

i knew maurine was going to abuse the power of me giving her a key to my apartment.

i crouch down and start to pick up the belongings i dropped on the floor, checking my phone to see if it gained any cracks or dents.

"i went here this morning when you left for school," she starts, slowly, her voice sounding like she had been crying for hours.

"and i, uh," she continues, sniffling as she does so, "i experienced something heartbreaking."

and right after she speaks, before i could get a word out, she sits up and begins to cry hysterically. i'm left standing near the foot of my bed, not knowing a damn thing about what's going on.

but, as her best friend, i run out my room and prepare a glass of water for her as well as a box of tissues.

i enter my room again, and maurine's still bawling her eyes out. without saying a word, u hand them over to her.

i take a seat on my beanbag chair that faces my bed, and continue watching maurine with my eyebrows furrowed as i wait for her to calm down.

what the fuck happened?

"i'm s-sorry." she manages to croak out. she inhales and exhales deeply, but tears are still flowing freely down her cheeks.

"what happened to you, maurine?" i sigh. i stand up from the beanbag chair, and sit down on the foot of my bed so that i'm closer to her.

i'm not used to seeing her like this. at all. among the both of us, i admit that i'm the more vulnerable one, and she's usually the one that comforts me. so it's a new scene seeing her cry like this.