irresistible

10 DAYS BEFORE PROM

"petal, wait up!"

i instantly wince once i'm halfway out the doorway.

damn it. i thought i was just about to make it through the day without luke talking to me.

"you're not watching my training?" he pouts once he's next to me, "you haven't watched me in a long time, it's starting to make me sad."

he looks genuinely soft, and i swear he's doing puppy dog eyes at me.

"i, uh..." i say, scratching the back of my neck as i try to think of an excuse, "i left the water running at my apartment. i need to get home asap."

"you're lying," he says, leaning against a row of lockers, "i know you always double-check every time before you leave your apartment, since i pick you up everyday."

shoot. he's right. whenever luke picks me up, i always make him wait for at least three minutes since i run around the house before leaving to make sure i turned all the electricity and appliances off.

"i don't remember if i double-checked today." i mumble softly, looking down on the floor.

"you did," he says right away, "i remember."

"oh, okay," i answer simply, "take care during training."

i make a move to walk away, but luke pulls me gently by the wrist, causing me to spin back towards him.

"why are you avoiding me?" he asks, a hurt expression on his face.

"i-i'm not avoiding you, luke," i answer, "i just wanna go home already. that's it."

"prove that you're not avoiding me, then," he says, crossing his arms, "you used to always watch my trainings. even during the days we have piles of homework. why stop all of a sudden?"

so i won't have to hurt you, luke.

i don't think there's a way out now. i can't keep lying to luke to avoid him. he's looking at me with a pained and confused look on his face, and i want nothing more than to see him smile again.

"fine," i exhale, instantly making luke smile, "i'll watch your training."

"i knew you couldn't resist me, i really am irresistible,"he smiles playfully, "let's go?"

we start walking towards the direction of the gym, and as usual, people make way for us.

these people really treat luke like he's a celebrity, and i think it's something i can never get used to.

"petal." luke says next to me as we walk.

i turn my head towards him, seeing that he has his hand extended in my direction.

is he doing what i think he's doing?

"what?" i ask, eyes wide.

he extends his hand further, and my eyes open wider.

does he want to hold my hand?