notorious

"yes, mom, i'm a hundred percent sure that i don't bring any guys to my apartment." i tell my mom through the phone.

"okay. only maurine, right?" she replies, though there's still a hint of doubt in her tone.

"yes, mom, just maurine." i say, trying to sound purely convincing.

and as if on cue, just as i finish my sentence, a guy with a mop of curly hair enters the room.

"hey, suga." he says. and before he could say anything else, i raise a finger to my mouth, telling him to keep quiet. he shoots me a cheeky grin, showing his dimples.

"who was that?" my mom asks straight away.

"it's from netflix. i was watching a film before you called. i played it accidentally." i tell her immediately.

he shakes his head sideways in disagreement and mouths the word "liar." i shoot him my middle finger.

"where's dad?" i ask, changing the subject.

"oh, he's still out with his friends. he'll be home in a while." she says.

"okay. i have to go now, mom. i have a lot of homework to do." i say and watch him shake his head sideways again.

"alright, sweetie. talk soon, love you." she tells me.

"love you too, mom." i say and hang up the phone.

our house is a good 6-hour drive from my apartment. the reason why i'm living far from them is because my parents want to train me to be independent for college.

i've been living by myself in this apartment since sophomore year.

"hey, ash." i beam at my best friend as i turn my phone off, placing it back on my desk.

"why won't you just tell your mom that i'm always here?" he says, fake pouting, "i'm sure she trusts me."

"yeah, and then she'll tell me to marry you," i scoff, "my mom's practically in love with you, ashton."

"what can i say?" he grins as he plops down on my bed.

i pretend to gag and ashton makes a face at me.

"anyway, why'd you invite me today?" he asks me as he begins to play with my husky stuffed toy.

"i have to tell you something big, you're gonna be so surprised." i tell him.

"well, tell me!" ashton says as he sits up from my bed, "do you finally have a crush?"

"psh," i scoff, "no, and never in a million years."

"tell meee." he says.

"okay," i start, "maurine got me do to something i never imagined i would do."

"which is?" ashton asks.

"so she recently got her heart broken by luke hemmings, right?" i say, and ashton nods.

"and as revenge, she made up a plan. a plan that consists of me making luke fall in love with me, then break his heart." i say simply.

"wait, what?" ashton laughs, "luke hemmings? the captain of the basketball team? you have to break his heart?"

"yup." i reply.

"and where'd she get that crazy idea?" ashton asks, still laughing.

"from herself," i say as i shake my head, "she says she needed someone luke has to fall for that won't fall for him, and she chose me."

"holy shit, i can't believe what i'm hearing," ashton says once he finally calmed down, "how the hell are you supposed to make luke hemmings fall in love with you?"

"exactly! that's why i invited you here," i say and he raises an eyebrow, "you're part of the basketball team, too, so you're around luke all the time. tell me, aside from being an asshole, what's he like?"

ashton laughs yet again, and i swat his arm, causing him to calm down.

"okay, want some tips? in all seriousness?" he asks.

"yes, please." i nod.

"well, for starters, he knows he's notorious. he knows that girls line up for him. so, if you really want him to fall in love with you and break his heart, you're gonna have to work really hard."

i knew that, so i nod my head and motion ashton to keep going.

"if you're planning to watch our trainings and games, you'll have a lot of competition. literally every girl that goes in the gym is in there for luke."

"okay." i answer, already shuddering at the thought of me needing to stay in the gym to watch him.

"you need to stand out. the girls that stand out for luke are those that seem different. those who he double-texts."

"so if he double-texts me, i'm different?" i ask.

"yup. it means he's interested and that he's more excited to talk to you than the other girls he may be talking to."

"this is crazy," i shake my head sideways, "why are they treating luke like he's some sort of celebrity?"

"maybe because he is one." ashton shrugs.

"keep going." i answer, nodding.

"and lastly," ashton says as he eyes me, "luke never takes no for an answer."

"what do you mean?" i ask.

"he only accepts the answers yes, of course, sure, and absolutely. he will never stop until he gets what he wants."

"jesus. talk about being spoiled." i scoff.

"well, he really expects girls to do anything for him." ashton shrugs.

"fine." i grumble.

"and vada, i'm warning you, luke's really charming and persuasive and he's, well, hot." he tells me.

"and?" i say.

"anything can happen. you'll never know. maybe by the end of all this, you'll be the one with a broken heart." ashton says, pointing towards me.

"oh, please," i scoff, "never in a million years. i absolutely loathe the guy. his presence is enough to make me gag."

"just a warning. but if you really don't fall in love with him then hands down, i salute you." he tells me.

"well, i sure as hell won't fall in love with luke hemmings." i say confidently, crossing my arms over my chest.

"so, when will you start this plan?" he asks me as he proceeds to play with my stuffed toy.

"on monday." i sigh.

"oh, exciting. tell me how it goes, okay?" he says, excitement evident in his face.

why is everyone excited for this?

"of course." i say confidently.

but deep down, i'm scared as heck. i have no idea how i'm going to do this.

so the first few chapters r gonna be hella boring cuz its just introducing and stuff bUT STAY WITH ME this gets rly interesting ;)

- au