alone

1 DAY BEFORE PROM

LUKE'S POV

vada hasn't been replying to my texts since i left her house yesterday.

and yesterday, when i came to visit her, she seemed a bit off. she'd space out during most times, and look as though she's thinking about something that's bothering her.

whenever i'd say something that i was sure would make her blush, she'd simply just smile and go back to looking like she's thinking of something deep.

i tried asking her if she was okay, or if something was bothering her, but she'd assure me right away that it's just her period cramps that's causing her to not be in the best mood.

i know there's something else bothering her, though.

there was something in the way she'd furrow her eyebrows together during random times, and something in the way she'd fidget with the end of her blanket that made me realize that there's something much deeper going on inside her head.

but she won't tell me what it is.

the second i got home yesterday, i messaged her to let her know that i got home safely.

she didn't reply after that, and i thought maybe it was because she'd fallen asleep the second i left.

but this morning, when i tried to pick her up for school, she only replied once saying that she wasn't feeling well, and that i shouldn't worry.

i asked maurine earlier at school if vada was okay, but she just gave a slight shrug in response, and walked past me quickly.

now that school's done for the day, i quickly made my way to her house again to see how she's doing.

i'm parked outside her house right now, and i instantly notice that all the lights are turned off.

i've left her a lot of texts and called her multiple times, none of which she replied to.

where are you, petal?

i tap my fingers on the steering wheel impatiently, rummaging through the deepest parts of my brain as i try to think where vada could've run off to.

then came my lightbulb moment.

i step my foot on the gas, instantly knowing where vada goes at times like this.

VADA'S POV

i've never felt so alone.

luke hung out at my apartment yesterday, and don't get me wrong, i was more than grateful for his company, but my thoughts still made me feel so out of touch.

i feel as though the whole world is out to get me.

i feel so lost right now, i honestly don't know what to do anymore.

i didn't go to school again today. maurine's words affected me way more than i thought it would.

"you're going to regret this, vada."