care package

11 DAYS BEFORE PROM

i think luke's starting to notice that i'm distancing myself from him.

i didn't reply to him at all yesterday, even though i really wanted to.

that didn't stop him from sending me consecutive texts, though. he still asked me if i slept well, if i ate all my meals, and how i was doing, like how he always does.

and now, today, i told him not to pick me up for school. i told him it was because i simply miss driving my own car.

god, i'm so bad at lying.

i make my way out of my apartment, and immediately gasp at the sight of luke's car parked in front of my apartment.

he's wearing his usual black skinny jeans, black boots, and a black plaid over a black shirt.

"good morning!" he beams at me, "i told you, i don't take no for answer. you knew that, petal."

why does he keep making things so hard? i'm doing this for him, damn it.

"luke, i told you not to pick me up today," i groan, "i miss driving okay? i'd like to drive my own car today."

"not on my watch," he answers, shaking his head side to side, "i'm driving you. that's final."

i don't listen, and instead continue to make my way towards my car.

"c'mon, petal," luke groans, blocking my way, "what's up with you today? and yesterday? you replied to zero of my texts, and now you don't want me to drive you to school? what's going on?"

let me distance myself from you, luke, please.

"i just feel a bit different, okay?" i sigh, "that's all. i just need time to be by myself now."

"you can be by yourself with me, petal," luke pouts, "i promise i won't annoy you or anything. i'll even shut up when you want me to. just let me drive you to school, please?"

there's no use in arguing any further, since he won't take no for answer.

"fine," i groan, "but no talking, okay?"

"yes, ma'am!" luke beams, and immediately opens the car door at the passengers side for me.

i get in, sighing as i do so. why is he making it this so hard?

luke gets in on his side of the car, and i can see him smiling as he does so.

"seatbelt, sunny." he reminds as he starts to drive.

thankfully, during the first few minutes of the drive, he stays silent. he would just casually tap his fingers on the steering wheel to the beat of the music playing on the radio, and that'll be the only sound he'd make.

i spoke too soon, though.

"petal," he speaks, "what do you mean when you said you felt different?"

"i said no talking, luke." i say sternly.

"right, i forgot," luke chuckles, "sorry."