real

PROM NIGHT

growing up, i could recall experiencing a lot of nightmares.

i'd dream about monsters under my bed, coming out at night to watch me as i sleep.

i'd dream about the ground opening up and swallowing me whole as i slept.

i'd dream about monsters, ghosts, and zombies chasing me as i tried to run as fast as my toddler legs could away from them.

and i'd wake up the same way i always did.

as a sweaty, sobbing, hysterical mess.

my parents would come to the rescue straight away, of course. they'd come running in my room the second they'd hear me crying.

they did everything to help me calm down.

my mom would sing me a lullaby. my dad would play soft songs on his guitar. they'd read me happy bedtime stories. they'd play with my toys with me.

but none of those seemed to do the trick to help me calm down completely.

until one night, when i'd been woken up from a dream where i'd been kidnapped by a group of ghosts, my mom said a single sentence that made me calm down straight away.

"it was just a bad dream, honey," she said in a sweet, soft voice, "bad dreams never happen in real life."

and just like that, i calmed down.

my bad dreams no longer phased me. because i believed her when she said that my bad dreams could never happen in real life.

i really planted those words in my heart and soul. that the things that happen while i'm asleep can never happen whenever i'm awake.

i grew up to believe that the sickest, most twisted things that happen in my dreams can never find their way into my real life.

but how come this is happening to me?

why is luke crying in front of me, with so much pain in his teary, bloodshot eyes?

why is my nightmare becoming real?

"why?" luke cries, "why'd you do this to me?"

his voice is shaky as he says his words, as he looks at me with so much pain confusion in his eyes.

just a few minutes ago, he was looking at me as though i was a dream to him. as though i was this angel from heaven sent down to earth for him.

but now, he's looking at me as though i did something devilish to him.

because i did.

he's holding maurine's phone in his hand, and from where i'm standing, i can see photos of the journal maurine gave.

despite my blurry vision, i instantly spot the big, block letters written at the top of the page.

MISSION: BREAK THE HEARTBREAKER

"luke..." i breathe out, completely feeling at a loss for words.

i unconsciously reach my hand out, trying to grab his, but he instantly moves away.

he's making sure to keep his distance from me, which make the tears pooling on the corners of my eyes threaten to spill out at any second.

he shakes his head as he looks at me, his mouth slightly agape with a look of betrayal all over his face.

"luke, please let me explain." i say, my voice cracking.

he looks at me with eyes full of pain and confusion, like a lost puppy wondering what the fuck's going on.