luke

"are you going to school today?" i ask maurine, balancing my phone in between my shoulder and ear as i lock the door to my apartment.

i start walking towards my car while pressing the phone closer to my ear, and i can hear her exhale slowly before answering.

"yeah." she answers simply, still not sounding better than she did yesterday.

"okay. see ya babe," i answer, then begin to get in the driver's seat, "want me to get you anything? coffee? food?"

"i'm all good, vadaroo," she answers monotonously, "see you at school. bye."

before i get the chance to reply, she drops the call after finishing her sentence.

i start my car and begin to drive, turning the radio on.

"look inside,
look inside your tiny mind,
now look a bit harder,"

after a few minutes of driving, i reach a stoplight. and since there's nothing better to do, i start looking around my surroundings.

i spot the car stopped directly next to me. it's a shiny white mercedes benz. the kind that doesn't have a roof on them. it's a very classy and car, but the people in it makes me think it belongs in the trash.

"fuck you,
fuck you very, very much,
cause we hate what you do,
and we hate your whole crew,
so please don't stay in touch,"

driving the car is luke hemmings, with his always present lip ring, as he wears a cap and a denim jacket.

he's bopping his head to a song playing on the radio as he takes his lip ring between his teeth. his arm is draped over the passenger's seat, with no one other than the famous brunette cheerleader, fern mcgee, sitting on it.

fucking asshole.

"fuck you,
fuck you very, very much,
cause your words don't translate,
and it's getting quite late,
so please don't stay in touch."

i grip on my steering wheel, instantly feeling the need to step out of my car and punch this guy in the face. when the light turned green, i stepped on the gas and honked as loud as i can at luke's car cause that's all i can do at this point.

(lunch)

"mhm," i mumble to myself as i start chewing a mouthful of chicken fingers, "good shit."

"vada!" all of a sudden, a beaming maurine sits right in front of me, causing me to send the chicken finger i was holding flying through the air.

"you have got to stop scaring me like that!" i exclaim, standing up from my seat, "what? what happened?"

i crouch down, trying to look for the chicken finger i dropped.

"a full chicken finger wasted." i sigh, picking it up. i place it inside the trashcan near to us, and return back to my seat.

maurine is still smiling with a noticeable twinkle in her eyes.

"i just thought of the best idea ever!" she exclaims once i take my seat again in front of her.

"yeah?" i ask, feeling surprised about her sudden change of demeanor. her whole sad and zombie face is gone and is replaced by a look that's determined and looking as though she's hungry for something.

i begin to twist the cap off my bottled water, looking over at maurine to hear what she has to say.

"you need to break luke's heart." she says, looking at me straight in the eyes. looking a bit crazy, even.