- chapter 7. this is halloween

❀ 𝕮𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝖘𝖊𝖛𝖊𝖓. 𝖙𝖍𝖎𝖘 𝖎𝖘 𝕳𝖆𝖑𝖑𝖔𝖜𝖊𝖊𝖓 ❀

🌤

      HALLOWEEN was never Esme's favourite time of year. To her, it was pointless as she was never let out to go around the village as (the few other) kids in the village dressed up and got buckets of sweets. Her and her sister would hide under blankets by the window and watch others pass. Sometimes, there would be a knock at the mansion door, and they'd have to hold themselves down from opening the door. They had nothing to give, besides themselves and their imagination of having friends.

Maybe that's why she was sat slumped on the Halloween night as for the first time, she started to miss home. Mainly her sister, wondering what Rose was doing tonight. Her mind also then ended up to Hermione, the girl who usually follows her around, but wasn't here.

Scanning the room, Esme still couldn't find her.

    "Where's Hermione?" she asked, no one in particular.

     Neville leaned over the table to her "Parvati said she'd been in the bathroom all afternoon, crying," He informed them.

Esme sucked in her cheeks and looked at Ron, raising her eyebrows knowing he had said something. His eyes drifted from side to side, trying to look anywhere else than her gaze. When he did he meet her gaze, he shrugged and she turned to Harry, both of them rolling their eyes at him before she piled food onto her plate and stood up from her place.

    "Where are you going?" Ron asked.

     "To see Hermione." she told him and left the hall, her cloak flowing behind her.

Guilt consumed her for how she had been treating the girl. The one who was always waking her in the morning, and making sure she had done her work, even offering to help if she saw her struggling, and Esme barely made an effort to start a conversation with her.

She quietly walked into the bathroom, hearing small sniffs coming from the bathroom stool that was closed. Gently, Esme knocked.

       "Hermione, It's Esme,"

        Hermione sniffed on the other side "Go away!" she called.

       Esme scrunched up her face and tried again "I er, I brought some cakes for us, if you didn't want to go back down to the hall. A wise man once said Chocolate makes everything better," she told her, waiting for a response but didn't get one "I'm not leaving you so i'll be waiting out here, alone," she slumped on the floor and started to pick at the cakes, eating some "I'm just here, getting fat!"

All that could be heared was Hermione's occasional sobs and sniffs as Esme sat, clicking her feet together and blowing out air. It must have been ten minutes before Hermione came out the stool, causing Esme to nearly fall back, but quickly regained her balance. Esme stood in front of her as Hermione looked up in fear.

      "What?" Esme asked, seeing the fear in her eyes. Thinking she had something on her face, she aggressively wiped at her cheek, not at all noticing the looming figure that stood over her.

When she turned apprehensively and looked up, she saw the ugliest troll, not that she'd seen many, but this one had snot and drool slowly descending towards her. Both girls let out a scream as Esme dived back, trying to get to the exit whilst Hermione hid herself back in the bathroom stool.

     "Hermione, the exit is this way!" Esme shouted back.

But as the Troll struck his bat, hitting through the stools, Hermione and Esme ducked before wood could pile over them. The doors burst open as Ron and Harry stumbled in and saw what was going down.