- chapter 19. voices in the walls

❀ 𝕮𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝖓𝖎𝖓𝖊𝖙𝖊𝖊𝖓. 𝖛𝖔𝖎𝖈𝖊𝖘 𝖎𝖓
𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖜𝖆𝖑𝖑 ❀

🌙

     ESME had left the library late that night, Castor forcing her to stay longer until she had actually done at least one piece of homework, and getting her to do that was work in itself. Naturally, Esme grew comfortable around Castor, they bonded. Sure, she still wasn't too sure on why he was always willing to help, or why he seemed to always be there when she needed help, but she wasn't arguing against it. It was nice.

William had left long before she did. He rushed through his homework and sprinted away while Esme just watched.

Walking along the corridor alone at night, only food on her mind, Hermione and Ron chased up to her and continued walking with her.

"Haven't seen Harry have you?" Ron asked her.

"No," Esme denied "Surely he's not still stuck in detention with Lockhart?" she questioned as the three of them shared a look. The feast was on at this moment but they were going to find Harry instead, passing up food which made Ron's stomach grumble and Esme whined.

Hermione looked down the corridor "Perhaps we best go get him, the feast will be over soon." She took the lead in walking down the corridor as Ron and Esme stood with each other, following.

"Any excuse for Gilderoy." Esme nudged Ron and he grinned in amusement. As they turned a corner they bumped into the very boy they were looking for who looked distracted by something in thin air.

"Did you hear it?" he asked them, immediately.

Esme raised her eyebrows "Hear what?" she asked him back "How long were you in detention for? Are you feeling alright?"

"There's a voice." he pointed out.

Esme looked to the other two, concerned "Yea, mine."

Harry tutted "No, there's another one, it's a darker one."

      "Voice? What voice?" Hermione asked, her voice almost wavering with panic.

       "I heard it first in Lockhart's office. And then again just-" Harry cut himself off as his eye line moved to the top, where he was hearing this voice from and for the smallest second, Esme could've sworn she heard faint mummer into the walls "It's moving," he walked through his friends who were sharing concerned looks before Harry announced "I think it's going to kill."

      "What?" Esme barked as Harry took down the corridor, herself following quickly while Hermione and Ron chased after them.

They all stopped when Harry stopped in a corridor dimly lit with the fire. They heard the slap of their school shoes on the ground and saw a thin layer of water glistening over the stone floor.

"Right, who left the sinks on?" Esme wondered out loud, the bottom of her robe just touching the water "Could be worse, could be blood." She said, trying to make it less dramatic and crack a joke but the three looked back at her with questioning looks and she pursed her lips closed.

Harry led the group as they walked along the corridor and he stopped them when they noticed a line of spiders walking along, up and out the window.

"Strange, I've never seen spiders act like that before." Hermione pointed out.