- chapter 12. chess for champions

❀ 𝕮𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝖙𝖜𝖊𝖑𝖛𝖊. 𝖈𝖍𝖊𝖘𝖘 𝖋𝖔𝖗
𝖈𝖍𝖆𝖒𝖕𝖎𝖔𝖓𝖘 ❀

🌤

      IN a hurry, the four were scurrying along the rooms for they had no idea how far Snape had got, they had no idea how much time they had left so they really needed to be quick, otherwise they fail and this was all for nothing. Together, they entered another room that wasn't all too big, but with high ceilings as something that looked like birds flew around above them.

Esme craned her neck to get a good look at them "These aren't birds are they?" she assumed, not recognising them as birds but as something else entirely.

     "They're keys!" Hermione exclaimed upon realisiation.

      "And I bet one of them fits that door." Harry spoke up and they all turned to see an old, rotting wooden door was there. Together, they march over and try pushing it open with the little strength they have combined, to no avail.

Ron went above and beyond, pulling out his wand "Alohomora!"" he tried but it didn't move. He looked back to the girls who were raising their eyebrows at him, having a feeling a spell like that wouldn't work on a door enchanted by teachers "Worth a shot." He mumbled, walking back to them while Esme patted his shoulder, to support him.

Hermione grumbled and stormed back into the space as the three followed her "What will we do? There must be a thousand keys up there." She snapped.

    "Well, we're probably looking for one that's been used, if Snape really has come through. Maybe one big," Esme tried to narrow it down, while checking the door "Old, rusty."

    "I see it!" Harry shouted and they looked to where he was pointing "The one with the broken wing." he slowly approached the broom that had been there in front of them, to aid them in their quest to reach the key. He was stood by it and the other three waited, but he was making no attempt too mount it.

    "What is it Harry?" Esme asked him.

Harry sighed and shook his head "It's too easy." Surely he couldn't just fly up there and snatch the key as simple as he does the snitch? They were going at a steady pace as well, there was no challenge to it really, so surely, there would be a catch and Harry didn't want to find it out.

     "Oh go on Harry!" Ron encouraged, almost jumping up and down for his friend, they had come so far "If Snape can catch it on that old broomstick, you can. You're the youngest seeker in a century!"

Esme soon joined in "He's right Harry, if there's anyone who can do it, it's you." Esme smiled and Harry smiled back at her, giving a good nod.

Harry placed a hand on the broom, ready to mount it and do it, for the school, for the wizarding world but as soon as he had he looked up to see the keys had decided to increase in speed and crowd him in a haze. Through it, he managed to climb on, swatting at them and slowly flying up, one hand holding on and his other arm was flying around in an odd pattern to get away the keys.

Some were hitting him and they were rather distracting but all he could try to focus on was the key they needed.

Esme shared a worried look with Ron and Hermione "This complicates things a bit." She mumbled, having her fingers crossed for him. It was typical, the keys that were no good to him were crowding Harry, that one key he needed was flying away from his grasp.