- chapter 28. Esme, the chamber and Tom Riddle

❀ 𝕮𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝖙𝖜𝖊𝖓𝖙𝖞-𝖊𝖎𝖌𝖍𝖙. 𝕰𝖘𝖒𝖊, 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖈𝖍𝖆𝖒𝖇𝖊𝖗

𝖆𝖓𝖉 𝕿𝖔𝖒 𝕽𝖎𝖉𝖉𝖑𝖊 ❀
🌙

      WHEN they arrived down the pit they were all met with a crunch and some sort of sludge that really, they didn't want to know what it was. They all stood and looked at what they stood in, shaking off some of the grime and bones that had stuck to them

"Lovely, haven't had a bath of bones in a while." Esme commented, shaking her shoe that rattled with them. The four of them stood, Ron the one who was pointing his wand at the adult.

Harry warned them before they started climbing through the pipes "Remember, any sign of movement, close your eyes straight away." they all nod as he climbed through first, Esme following him while Ron urged Lockhart first.

     "What's this?" in the next room they saw a vast line of what looked like a snake.

Harry looked at one end while Esme crawled to inspect the whole thing "It's a snakeskin." He told them all.

      "Bloody hell. Whatever shred this must be-" Ron didn't finish because beside him Gilderoy had fainted at his feet, hitting the rocks as Esme stood up, looking over with a laugh at him as Ron lowered his wand and nudged him with his foot "Heart of a lion this one."

      "Well he's no Gryffindor, not like us." Esme smiled as Harry smiled back at her.

Suddenly, he had shot up and snatched the wand right out of Ron's hand and held it up, clearly the fainting was a distraction.

      "The adventure ends here," he told them as they waited to see what he will do, there was no other way out "But don't fret, the world will know our story. How I was too late to save the girl, how you three tragically lost your mind at the sight of her mangled bodies," he described how it would happen before pointing the wand in the direction of Harry Potter "You first Mr Potter. Say goodbye to your memories."

Esme tried to scramble her way back to Harry "No!" she didn't want him to get hurt and she wasn't thinking about herself, she never did in the face of danger (which would be her downfall)

       "Obliviate!" Lockhart cast. One thing he didn't realise was that Ron's wand was still broken and it still backfired spells so when he went to hit Harry and have his memory wiped, he had wiped his own without knowing. He hit in the top of the rocky sewer and the hit the floor again. The harsh movements and hits of his made the place shake and rock and the rocks, the structure around them started to collapse.

They all jumped to duck or in Esme's case she dived out the way, clutching her head down so they didn't hit her head. They all waited until it had stopped and when she uncovered her ears she heard Harry calling her name.

      "Esme! Are you alright?" he was on top of some rocks, peeking through a gap there as she climbed up and met him at the gap.

      "Yea, I'm ok. Are you and Ron?" she checked as he nodded from the other side. By what she could see, she guessed that Lockhart had woke up and she heard Ron call that he had lost his memory instead. In any times she would've laughed but now, she was scared, really scared and Harry knew that. He reached out through the gap and placed his hand on top of hers and smoothed it over with his thumb.