Mission: Save Keychain

Killua pov

It's been two days since I saved that family, and I haven't been out much since, and I was curious about what was going on outside.

I was sitting on the couch with the baku squad and Deku squad (minus Deku) and Gon.

Killua: "So, what's going on outside?" I asked curiously.
Kirishima: "Oh, nothing much."
Uraraka: "Just the usual."
Gon: "You know, maybe you can take a look and go outside." Gon nudged me.
Kirishima: "That's not a good idea." He suddenly said.
Killua: "Why's that?" I asked.
Denki: "Well, word of your good deeds aren't really travelling well. People aren't being very open minded. But give it time, they'll see what a great guy you are!"

I shrugged and stood up.

Killua: "Well, I dropped something yesterday so I have to go out and find it anyway." I got up began heading to my room.
Denki: "Where are you going?"
Killua: "To find a mask and sweater. It's a disguise!" I called to them as I exited the common space.

—————————————————

I came back wearing a purple hoodie, dark blue face mask, brown pants and black running shoes.

Killua: "I'll be back in a few minutes." I left the dorms swiftly with my hood over my head and hands in my pockets. It's become a habit to do that now.
And it was true that I dropped something yesterday. It was the heart keychain I got for Christmas. I was gonna throw it out, but I figured I'd ask Alluka if she wanted it next time we saw each other.
'I think I left it on the ground near the shelters.'

If your wondering, Gon went exploring yesterday and I had to drag him back to the dorm, and I had the keychain in my pocket and it fell out.
It was chilly today, so no one questioned my outfit, and my amateur disguise seemed to be working because I overheard a lot of gossip, mostly about me and Gon.

Person A: "I heard those two saved some people from villains a few days ago." A female voice said.
Person B: "Why would hero's let those two out in the open?" Another female said.
Person C: "I bet Rock Punch is friends with Voltage because he's to scared to defy him." This time, a male voice.
Person D: "Yeah, I bet Voltage just wants him as a pet." Another male voice chimed in.
Person C: "Ugh, who does that? He's not even human."

It felt like I got punched in the gut. 'Is that what people think?' I thought as I walked past the group. 'Why would I do that?'

I walked further and passed another group.

Person A: "Honestly, I think they mean well. Voltage too." I heard a male voice say. He sounded sweet.
Person B: "You trust to easily. It could be an act." A female with the voice of a stuck up brat said.
Person A: "Well, until he does something bad again, I trust him."

'At least I can rest easy knowing not everyone thinks I'm a bad guy.'

Person A: "If Voltage is like that, then what about his friend? What do you think his story is?" I passed another group, this time it was an all girl group.
Person B: "Well, he did say he lived with his aunt. But that's really all we know."
Person C: "Those reporters only focused on Voltage. We don't know anything about Rock Punch!"

'That's actually true.' I realized.

I walked a little faster, and went to the place where I think I dropped the keychain. It was on the perimeter of the evacuee residential area, and there were many people walking around and helping each other with supplies.
I saw a hint of red, and kneeled down beside a shelter to find the keychain under some dirt. I picked it up and put it in my hoodie pocket.

Person: "Hey!" I heard someone yell behind me. I turned around and saw someone walking closer to me. It was a middle aged guy.
Person: "What did you put in your pocket?" I kept my head down and showed him the keychain.
Person: "Is it yours?" He asked strictly.
Killua: "Yeah. I dropped it yesterday. I came to find it." I said in a deepened voice.
Person: "Are you sure? You better not be stealing."
Killua: "Why would I steal a heart keychain? I was going to give it to my sister as a gift, but if your going to make a fuss about me 'stealing' it, then just take it." I used air quotes when I said 'stealing' and held the keychain in front of him.

'What's the deal with this guy?' I didn't want to cause a scene, so if giving this guy the keychain is what it takes to get him off my back, so be it. Besides, he was drawing attention to us. The last thing I wanted was people realizing it was me.

He huffed and said,
Person: "I don't want it. I also don't want a thief in one of the last places people can go to feel safe."
Killua: "Me too. Which is why it's a good thing I'm not a thief." I put the keychain back in my hoodie pocket. I was about to leave but the guy said,
Person: "Then why are you dressed like that?"
Killua: "Because it's cold? But if your wondering about the mask, it's because I'm a little sick. Now if you'll excuse me, I have a sister to get back to."

I turned and walked away without another word. The guy didn't stop me and everyone went back to doing what they were doing.

I heard lots of things going there and back, about hero's, villains, me, Gon, what will happen now, but Denki was right. People did not trust us, and trusted me even less. But the words 'he's not even human' kept replaying over in my head. 'I am human. I am! I'm just a kid born in the wrong family! Why can't people understand that?'