Chapter 15

*One week later*

Madelyn and Marshall had returned home and he was planning her birthday. He had enlisted Ashley to make it work. He wanted to make sure that it was something she would always remember for years to come no matter what ever happened between them. They had decided a small party with the people who knew about them was the best thing they could do. Madelyn was a simple girl who didn't need all the glamour that went along with celebrity life. He was glad that she was so down to earth and really never mentioned anything that had to do with his career when they were home.

Ashley had done the bulk of the planning while they were gone for the concert. Marshall was glad that he could count on her to come through for him. He wanted it all to be perfect. Ashley showed up at the studio with Nate to go over the details. Madelyn was at work so it was the best time for them to talk about it.

"You're going to take her to dinner and then we will be at the house for the surprise party portion of it. I already have it set that the girls, us, and Denaun will be there. Was there anyone else that you wanted to invite?" Ashley asked.

"No, I think that's perfect. She doesn't like all the attention so I think small is best," he said.

"Sounds good."

"Thank you for this."

"Look, Madelyn has been my best friend since high school. That girl has been through hell and deserves the world. She will never take it though. It's always about making sure everyone else is taken care of for her."

Marshall nodded. He could see that, and he appreciated that about her. He really wanted her to enjoy the night though. It was all about her and that's what he wanted. It was what she deserved. He pulled up to the house that night with some takeout since he knew that she was working hard to catch up from being gone. He didn't like that her boss was such an ass about her being gone. He focused on the fact that Madelyn wasn't in the office even though the girl had vacation time. Marshall wanted to go in and give the guy a piece of his mind, but Madelyn refused to let him. She didn't want him to come in to save the day. She was just going to have to deal with it.

She walked in the door at 8pm exhausted from her day. Marshall looked annoyed that she was so late. She sighed as she closed the door behind her. He instantly let the irritation fade away when he saw how tired she looked.

"Mads, why you letting him do this to you?" he asked.

"Marshall, please, I don't want to fight," she said.

"I'm not fighting. I am worried about you. I haven't seen you this tired in the entire time we have been dating."

"It wasn't even my boss that was the problem. My relief didn't show up until 7:30."

"Madelyn, that's one of my damn studios and I won't let it keep happening. You aren't scheduled after 5pm and you're going to be coming home on time from now on. They aren't going to keep taking advantage of you because of me. They are trying to make an example out of you and that's not going to fly with me anymore."

"They don't know about you."

"What? How can they not when you are leaving with me on tours?"

"I don't tell them what I'm doing when I take off. I just request the time off."

"Madelyn."