Chapter 31

Over the next few weeks, Marshall knew that he had to get something together for Madelyn's birthday. He wanted her to know that she meant a lot to him. She walked into the kitchen where he sat at the breakfast bar. She smiled.

"Hey babe," she said.

"Hey beautiful," he replied.

"Whatcha doing?"

"Nothing much."

"Yeah, sounds boring."

"A little bit. What are you doing?"

"Nothing really, glad to be done with work for the day."

"Babe you know you don't have to work right. I got this under control."

"It's all right. I mean I don't mind working. I just had a long day."

He nodded. He didn't mind her working but she didn't have to do it. He could have taken care of them plus continued doing what he was doing taking care of Kim and the girls. He was good with everything he had going on in his life. He watched his wife for a moment. She knew that he was going to be going out on tour again and that he was going to want her to go with him. She looked up at him.

"What's up?" she asked.

"Are you going on the Rapture tour with me?" he asked her.

"I don't know. Tours are not always good for us."

"It was one time, Madelyn."

"I mean if you want me to go, I will."

"I want you there. I miss you when I'm not home and you are. I need you with me."

"All right. What about my job?"

"Just quit."

"Marshall."

"Madelyn, I got this."

"I don't want to just live off your money."

"I can find you something to do on the tour."

"What?"

"My personal assistant."

"I thought you had a personal assistant."

"Yeah here at home. Don't go on tour with one."

"You want one for tour?"

"Not really. I just want my wife."

She laughed. He scrunched his nose up at her. She smiled.

"All right," she said.

"You'll come with me?" he asked, "and quit your job?"

"Marshall, I will come with you and take on the personal assistant job with you."

He made a face. He didn't really like the idea of her working for him but he knew that she wasn't going to take no for an answer. She was happy with not using his money which was weird for him. He pulled her into his arms.

"I am glad that you are coming with me," he said.

"I bet you are," she replied.

"Live out all my fantasies of an affair with my assistant."

"Excuse you?"

Her face clouded over. It took him a moment to realize what he had said.

"No baby, I didn't mean it like that. I don't fantasize about my assistant. I swear," he said.

She just stared at him. He felt like an ass now. She pulled away from him and walked out of the kitchen. He sat there kicking himself for what he had said. He had thought about his assistant but that was years ago. He didn't worry about anyone who worked for him in that way anymore. He just wanted Madelyn. He sighed heavily before getting off the bar stool and going to find her. She was in the living room. He knew that she had insecurities about their relationship simply because of her past. He looked at her as she was sitting on the couch.

"Baby," he said, slowly.

She ignored him. He moved closer to her and knelt in front of her. They were two people who had been through some very toxic relationships, and it had left them clinging to each other on a regular basis, but they also managed to hurt each other more than they wanted to. He gently lifted her chin.

"Madelyn, I don't want my assistant. I want you. I want to live out that role play with you," he said.

She nodded slowly. He leaned forward and kissed her. She lifted her hand to his cheek as he kissed her.

"I love you and only you," he said.

"I love you too, I am ok," she replied.

"Baby, I can see that you are upset and questioning things right now. I see it swirling through your eyes."

"I am all right. I promise,"