Chapter 22

*July 4, 2013*

Marshall was hosting a cookout and pool party for the 4th. He was only doing it because it made Madelyn happy. She was busy in the kitchen when he got up. She had been putting food trays together and preparing the meat for the grill. Marshall wandered into the kitchen. Things had a been a bit weird for them for a few days after Easter but had since calmed and gone back to normal.

"Good morning," she said.

"Good morning, babe," he replied.

He grabbed a bowl from the cabinet and poured himself a bowl of cereal. She smiled as she watched him. He watched her for a moment. She was dressed in a simple set of jean shorts and a t-shirt.

"No swimsuit?" he asked.

"Oh I've already got it on under this," she told him.

"Yeah?"

"Yeah, I'm prepared. I just want to have all this ready to go. Steaks needed to be seasoned and marinated before they can go on the grill."

Marshall sat on a bar stool at the counter and ate his cereal. She put the tray away and pulled out the steaks and the bags of Jack Daniels marinade that she had purchased. He thoughtfully watched her.

"What?" she asked as she sealed a bag.

"Nothing, I just love how into all of this you get," he replied.

"What do you mean?"

"Well before you, I avoided having people over here. I would rather just hang out in the studio all the time."

"That's not healthy."

"I know."

She watched him for a moment.

"I'm leaving on tour next month. Are you coming with me?" he asked.

"If you want me too for a while at least," she said.

"Sounds great to me. I don't like going without you."

She nodded. She knew how he was about leaving and her staying back at the house. She was glad that they were doing so well. Marshall went up to get ready for the party. Madelyn was still busy working in the kitchen when he came back down. She smiled at him. He was in a pair of black swim trunks and a beater. He moved closer to her and kissed her.

People began showing up around noon. Madelyn had some snacks out for everyone already when they arrived. The girls were excited to be there. Whitney hugged her tightly.

"Hey hun," Madelyn smiled.

"I'm so glad that dad is with you," she said.

"Oh yeah? Why's that?"

"You make him happy and you seem so happy with him."

"He does make me happy."

"Do you love him?"

"I do love him."

"You think that he loves you?"

"I don't know."

Whitney looked concerned. She went to go talk to her dad. Madelyn just shook her head as the teen ran off. She wasn't going to push Marshall into anything that he wasn't ready for. She knew that it was going to backfire on her if she did. Ashley was in the kitchen with her.

"That's probably not going to go well," Madelyn mused.

"What do you mean? He hasn't said he loves you yet?" Ashley asked.

Madelyn shook her head. Ashley sighed.

"That boy is insanely scared of his own feelings," she said.

Madelyn just shrugged. It hurt her feelings sometimes that he couldn't bring himself to really tell her what his feelings were for her. She was trying not to think about it as she made her way out to the backyard. Everyone was having a good time in the pool. She stripped off her t-shirt and shorts to get in the pool for a bit.

"Hey hot mama," Denaun hollered.

She laughed. Marshall made a face as his friend whistled at his girl. He went over to Madelyn and pulled her into his arms. She smiled and pulled away to get in the pool. He looked confused for a moment before joining her in the water. He pulled her into his arms again.

"You ok?" he asked.

"Yeah I'm fine," she replied.

"That's good."

She gave him a strange look.

"You ok?" she asked, looking at him weird.

"Yeah baby, I'm good," he grinned.

She nodded. Her arms went around his neck and she pressed a kiss to his lips. He settled his hands on her hips.

They had a great day with everyone. Marshall grilled out steaks, hot dogs, and hamburgers while Madelyn brought out all the other sides. They all ate before settling in to watch the fireworks later that evening. Madelyn was content in Marshall's arms as they sat in the chair together. She rested her head back against his shoulder. He had his arms around her waist. She shivered slightly against him. He had a blanket nearby and pulled it over them. She smiled and snuggled in as they watched the fireworks go off.

"Thank you," she whispered.

"For what princess?" he asked.

"This lovely day and time with our family."

He smiled as he held her tighter. She smiled. She was comfortable in his arms.