Chapter 20

*February 14, 2013*

Today was Valentine's Day and Marshall wanted it done right. He was going to spoil his girl the way she should have always been spoiled. He was up early. She was still sleeping as he made his way down the stairs. He was able to get breakfast made before she woke. He walked back in their room and smiled when he saw her.

Madelyn was just waking as he entered. She rubbed her eyes and stretched before reaching for him. She looked around the room and smiled as her eyes landed on him. He smiled at her. He set down the tray and moved over to her.

"Hey beautiful," he gently kissed her.

"Good morning handsome," she said.

"Happy Valentine's Day."

"Happy Valentine's Day babe."

"Want some breakfast?"

"Did you cook?"

"I did."

"Aww handsome, you are so sweet."

He grinned and moved to grab the tray. They had breakfast in bed. He had made pancakes, bacon, eggs, and cut up fruit. She smiled as he fed her a strawberry.

"Marshall, you are just the sweetest man, I've ever met," she said.

"Not really. Baby girl, I haven't been the best man in my life. I've done some really screwed up shit. I have a chance to do things right with you and I am thankful for that," he replied.

"What do you mean?"

"The girls mom? I was a horrible man when I was with her. We were horrible to each other, but I have to put blame on myself."

Madelyn looked at him funny. He sighed as he lay back on their bed. He didn't want her to really know everything if she didn't already know. She looked back at him as she was sitting up. He put his hand over his eyes.

"Marshall, everyone makes mistakes in their lives. It's whether you learn from those mistakes or you continue to make them," she said.

"Well does making them from 1988 to 2006 count as learning?" he asked.

Madelyn chuckled a bit and shook her head.

"Well, you have learned now, right?" she asked him.

"Yeah, I've figured it out I guess," he replied.

"Babe, it's all right. You two are ok now as far as the past has gone right?"

"I mean if you count only really interacting when it comes to the kids being ok, then yeah. I probably have a lot to still make up for."

"Marshall, no one is perfect."

He nodded. He sat up and moved the tray from the bed and pulled her down next to him. He smiled at her. She kissed his lips.

"Besides, everything that happened in our pasts, led us to where we are today and to each other," she said.

He snuggled her into his side. She rested her head against his chest, listening to his heartbeat.