Before The Maze [ 2 ]

November 28, 2021
5 years old

⋆﹥━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━﹤⋆

THE WOMAN IN the white coat gently pushed the pieces of candy in front of her. "How many is there?" She asked sweetly. Lily, not wanting to answer, crossed her arms in assertiveness. The lady just shook her head urging her on.

"Dear, I need you to tell me how many skittles are on the table."

"No." She whined. The scientist lady hazily sighed before scribbling something down on her wooden clipboard. Lily watched, intrigued in the pretty blue pen she was using to take notes.

"I want." She stated, reaching out. When the woman recoiled back a frown replaced her once curious look. "Gimme." She tried again, but instead was met with a hand to her face.

White coat lady snapped her fingers, signaling for her to sit back down. Lily reluctantly did so, as she thought maybe doing what she wanted would earn her the reward of the shiny object. It had only been three days since she'd traveled on the train, and she already knew more than enough about the people she'd been surrounded by. The biggest one being that she could get anything she wanted if she complained enough. It was a tactic that had never worked on her mother, so to say she was pleasantly surprised when she was allowed to sleep next to the boy she met on the train after throwing a tantrum, was an understatement. They had wanted to keep the boys and girls in separate rooms, but when the doctors saw how close the pair clung onto each other, they allowed the two of them to stay together for one night.

Speaking of the boy, she had finally figured out what his name was. It was after they'd showered and had a proper meal, when they were supposed to be asleep. "Stephen," he'd told her as they laid awake in the darkness. She had laughed, turning her head to conceal the laughter in the side of his shoulder.

"What kind of name is that?"

"A very beautiful name, unlike Lily."

"Hey at least it's prettier than Stephen." She countered. At this she'd felt him roll over from his back to his side so he could look at her. It was too dark for her to see, but the brunette boy had a smile on his face as he spoke his next words.

"It sure is."

The two then shortly fell asleep, both subconsciously cuddling into each other to maintain warmth. When they woke, they were in the same position. Lily buried into his chest, and him with his arms wrapped around her body.

That all happened a little more than two days ago. After that morning when the guards ushered them out, she hadn't seen the boy since.

Lily pushed the skittles back towards the direction of the woman. "Nine." She affirmed, giving her best cheery smile. The lady furrowed her eyebrows, obviously surprised in the sudden answer, but nonetheless made a note on her piece of paper.

"And what if you were to double the candy?' She asked.

"Eighteen," Lily quickly replied without thinking. "I mean duh."

"And if you squared it?

"Eighty-one." She confidently said, sitting up straighter in her chair, her eyeline still set on the blue pen. The woman examined her clipboard, flipping through the many pages of sheets she had. She circled one name in the blue ink then ripped out the page, folding it in half.

"How does the name Evony sound?" She asked.

Lily tilted her head. "Um-Im Lily." She merely said, not sure how she was supposed to answer. The woman just stood up clapping her hands, "You know, I think you'll make a pretty good Evony."