[ 32 ] A Griever Pancake

CHAPTER THIRTY- TWO
• a griever pancake •

⋆﹥━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━﹤⋆

EVONY LOVED THOMAS. She, however, did not love when he wouldn't listen to her. Especially when what she had to say was important enough to spare a few seconds of his time.

"Are you even listening?" she huffed, trudging to keep up with the pace Thomas had set. After the groundbreaking discovery of the newest addition to the Glade, the brunet had his thoughts racked. The boy had gone into his own world of wonders, more likely than not trying to find a reasonable explanation for the unconscious girl.

"I am," Thomas insisted. His eyes never met hers. There was a pause where neither of them spoke. In that time they crossed at least a third of the vast grassland that separated them from the med-hut.

Evony grimaced, "Fine, what did I say?"

"Uh, you said you were worried about something."

"About you, Thomas!" she exclaimed, "I seriously can't believe you missed everything I just said."

He stopped walking to stare at her. "Don't blame me. It's the girl who's messing with my brain."

She stopped abruptly, "What do you mean by that?"

He pulled her closer, as if to prevent anyone else from listening in in their conversation. If they both weren't stressed at the moment, his hands on her waist would have felt pretty nice. "It was like a trigger," he explained. Evony raised her eyebrows in suspicion. "One second I was fine, then she woke up and it hit me. I know her, Evs. And I know that's crazy because our memories are wiped, but there's something about her face that seems almost as familiar to me as you did when I first came up."

She let her brain unravel the information he had disposed of. One, he had never told her that he recognized her from the start. Two, he also remembered the new girl, and while he claimed it wasn't more than an unreachable instinct, he still knew her. Three, she had been right.

"If you had been listening to me, you would've heard me ask you if she seemed familiar." Evonys arms crossed.

Thomas' face dropped, "How'd you know I knew?"

A sigh escaped her lips. She kept her voice as calm as possible. "I know you. You play with your fingers when you're nervous."

"You bite your nails."

Evony ran a hand over her face. "Look, the girl coming up unexpectedly is wrong-everybody can sense that. I also have a feeling she's here for a reason," she paused, "Her wrist. There were letters just like yours. I'm wondering if she was really supposed to stay dead. I mean you know what happened to everyone else. What if she's like you and barely escaped death herself?"

It was clear he was thinking, yet she saw him subconsciously rub a hand over the scarred letters on his wrist. "What were they?"

"OD," she informed, "Which added the the rest of them would spell WICKED IS GOOD. Do you remember anything about that?"

"I'm thinking," he replied, but not a second later he spoke again, "I don't know."

"It's fine," she assured. She couldn't count on Thomas having random spurts of memory, not when the other gladers couldn't recall anything from their past lives either.