Before The Maze [ 8 ]

EVONY GENTLY TAPPED her fingers along the edge of the steel desk. Her back rested on a chair, which was cool from the air conditioning that had been circling the room. The room itself was a small closed in space, which was barely big enough for the three pieces of furniture that accompanied it.

She was well aware that she was about to be interrogated. What she hadn't been aware of was that she was hooked up to a lie detector. When several guards came in and forced the blood pressure cuff along with a heart rate monitor, she felt herself begin to panic. She didn't know how to moderate her breathing, or keep her heart at a normal pace. There was never a need too.

The guards soon left after hooking her up to the machine. A few minutes went by before the door swung open once again, and a single man walked through. His hair was disheveled, probably from all the times he ran his hand through it. His once sleek suit was cricked and unbuttoned. In all honesty he looked like a mess.

"Stressed?" Evony smirked as he pulled out the chair from the other side of the wobbly table and took a seat.

Janson ran a hand over his face before resting his fingers on the table. He leaned in. "Let's just get right to it, shall we?"

She crossed her arms, and twisted her head away from his gaze. "Sure whatever."

"Evony-"

"Look," She slammed her hands down on the table, shaking from the uneven legs. "I honestly don't care for what you have to say. So, just go ahead and ask me your stupid questions, and I'll respond with the bluntness answer I can think of. Deal?"

He sighed. "No, Evony. No deal."

"Whatever then." She waved her hand, slouching back farther into her chair. Adjusting the straps around her arm, she refused to make eye contact with the man.

Janson cast a sharp glare, clearly unimpressed with her attitude. After a few moments of supposedly trying to intimidate her, he gave up. "Okay, question one. How long have you actually known Thomas?"

She tapped the edge of her chin. We're her and Thomas still pretending that they didn't know eachother like how they actually did? If they were, how long would it take for one of them to slip up? Because in all honesty how long can you pretend to not be in love with someone. "Let's see, around an hour now."

"He managed to give you a nickname in an hour's time?"

"Yes." She claimed, fiddling with the cuticle on her thumb. A loud beep cut through the air, slicing whatever tension was being created from the lack of explanation. She glanced down at her armband which was growing tighter by the second. Next to her heart rate, a little red button on the monitor in front of her was flashing rapidly, indicating that she was in fact lying.

Janson pressed his lips together, his eyebrows knitting in concentration. He grabbed a piece of paper and a pen from one of the shelves next to him and began scribbling some words down in ink.

"So, are you going to lie every time I ask you a question." He asked not to break his rhythm in writing.

She just shrugged her shoulders.

He scoffed in return, "Evony I know you're lying, there's no point in hiding it."

"You seem a little on edge-"

"Evony!" This time it was him slamming his hands on the table. In response to the action she smirked, slowly turning around in her seat so she could delicately lay her folded hands across the table.

"Look, sir." She mocked. "I already told you that I don't care. So please continue trying to get answers out of me, because I can assure you that you won't catch me dead revealing anything to someone like you."