[ 19 ] Safe In My Arms

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN
• safe in my arms •

⋆﹥━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━﹤⋆

THOMAS HADNT SPOKEN one-on-one with Evony in four days. Instead, his daily conversations included talking to the youngest boy in the glade-Chuck. Now, Thomas loved having company, but after four whole days of being with the same person he kind of wanted someone...older...to talk to. Nonetheless he didn't say anything-or let those feelings show for that matter-because he was happy to have someone to keep his spirits up.

Since Evony hadn't been running the past few days he had been pairing up with Minho and Ben. The two took it upon themselves to grill him with embarrassing questions that would make him flush bright red. It wasn't the most pleasant time if Thomas was going to be honest; he would much rather be with his normal partner.

She made the job easy, mostly because she was so easy to talk to. He felt as if they told eachother everything-which probably wasn't that far off. He knew he at least told her every single thing that came to his mind.

Now, since Chuck was the only person he had really talked to, he was the one who got the receiving side of the brunet's endless ranting. Thomas could tell that the kid was a tad agitated at times-at times where all he would talk about was her. Perhaps the two were annoyed at each other, if so, then they needed Evony; she had always sort of been the mediator between the three of them. She helped to calm the boys down when they bickered about playful arguments.

As for the two boys, they were eating dinner while waiting for the rest of their "group" to finish their jobs. Frypan had made his famous tomato soup, so Chuck was guzzling that down. Thomas on the other hand, well, was having trouble eating from the paranoia that had built up inside him.

He spun his wooden spoon around inside the bowl; when it fell in completely he gave up and pushed the meal away. "Do you think Evony's mad at me?"

Chuck perked up from his seat, glancing over to the older boy while the spoon was halfway from meeting his mouth. "No?" he said with confusion, "Why would she be mad at you?"

"I don't know," Thomas expressed, "That's what I've been trying to figure out."

Chuck leaned closer to him from across the table. He stroked a hand across his chin to show he was thinking. "Do you think you've done something?"

The brunet shook his head, "I'd say no, but, I don't know."

"Did you say something wrong?"

He denied again, "I don't know."

Chuck relaxed back in his seat, his eyes boring into Thomas' as he presumably thought of an answer to the older kids' circumstance. "Well, that's a lot of 'I don't know' so I don't know either."

The brunet gently wacked his hand against his head, cursing himself for not being able to figure out what was wrong. If it was anyone else he probably wouldn't have thought about it this much, as they could just be hanging out with other people. However, Evony was like his person, the one who he was always with. It never seemed like she had a problem hanging out with him, so why would she suddenly go out of her way to not even be in his eyesight.

Something was off, and he knew it.

With a nod of the head a smile rose to Chuck's face. "I have a brilliant idea. Why don't you just go talk to her?"

Thomas held a blank expression, not seeing where the kid's point was going. Of course he had already thought of that, but he felt it was rude to bug her if she had been so adamant on staying away. "What if she doesn't want to see me?"