[ 33 ] We're the Same, Gally

CHAPTER THIRTY- THREE
• we're the same, Gally •

⋆﹥━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━﹤⋆

"WE FOUND THIS," Thomas announced. The attention in the room shifted to him. Evony was well aware of what it meant for him to be professing his new findings, as they were about to flip everything the Gladers knew upside down. "It was inside a Griever."

He tossed it to Newt, who took one glance at the object before tossing it to her. His jaw set into a hard clench.

"These are the same letters we get in our supplies," he mentioned blankly, his voice hovered for a second before he spoke again, "..and the letters on the Gladers wrists."

She was sent back into a moment where the mourning of the Gladers had been the highest. It was a few days before Ben had been stung and attacked them.

"If anyone has any final words, they can speak."

Minho raised his hand slowly. It took Evony by surprise. Minho? He always claimed to find Alec too soft-to unlike him. Now here he was offering to speak at his funeral.

"Uh," he cleared his throat, "I'll start off by saying that I know Alec and I weren't the best of friends. It was going nicely but then he shaved off my hair and I- it doesn't matter. What does matter is my friendship with Newt. Im not- im not great with my words when it comes to this sappy shit but, Newt, I love you like a brother, and I'm incredibly sorry for your loss. Alec will forever be in your heart and for that case he is in mine to." He paused, placed his hand to his chest for a split second, then raised it in the air. "Fly high, barber boy."

Newt placed a flower-a rose-on Alec's grave.

She glanced at Minho. His gaze was fixated directly on Gally, almost sizing him up as if he was getting ready to fight him.

Thomas was the one to take up the silence with his voice-that seemed to be something he was good at. "Whoever put us here obviously made the Grievers. This is the first real clue, the first anything, you've found in over 3 years. Right, Minho?"

He nodded.

Thomas turned to her. "Evs, we gotta go back out there. Who knows where this might lead us."

"Don't even try asking her," Aaron shot, and since when was he aloud in here? He wasn't a keeper. "Whatever comes out of her mouth is completely biased. She's blinded by harboring feelings."

Evony shook her head, "Yeah, no. As second in command I order you to leave this meeting." She pointed to the door, tapping her foot in anticipation. A smug smile rested on her face.

Gally grasped the builder's shoulder. "He's here under my account."

Then he turned to the rest of the crowd. "You see what they're trying to do, right? First Thomas breaks our rules... and then he tries to convince us to abandon them totally." His face held a look of order that it shouldn't have. Both him and Aaron looked prideful in their positions right now. It was like they thought they had suddenly become the leaders of the Glade. Which was bullshit.

"The rules are the only thing that have ever held us together. Why now are we questioning that? If Alby was here, you know he'd agree with me," his finger aimed at Thomas, "This shank needs to be punished."

"Gally, be serious," Evony reconciled, "You've known him for half a year."

Aaron broke away from Gallys grasp to step forward towards her. Minho edged slightly away from his position on the wall aswell.