[ 4 ] How To Save The Girl

CHAPTER FOUR
• how to save the girl •

⋆﹥━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━﹤⋆

NOTHING UNUSAL HAPPENED in the next week. Evony stuck to her daily routines, and trudged through each day with the best smile she could manage. She woke up, ate breakfast, then went and ran the maze with Minho. Then, when they would return home, she showered and met the rest of her friends with dinner. Occasionally she would mess around with one of her buddies: Chuck, Max, Newt; they seemed to be the ones she migrated to the most in the past few days. She would have also have hung out with the other runners, but a certain pairing always happened to be missing at the most perfect coincidences.

The only change was Thomas.

It didn't take any time for him to fall into the rhythm the gladers had established. While she was out running the maze, he was testing out new jobs. Now she had not personally seen him attempt any of the work, but she had heard some rather...questioning...stories from the keepers. For instance, his first day of testing was with the cooks. According to Frypan, Thomas managed to make a whole meal-the famous soup-just to fumble the bowl and spill the contents onto himself and the ground.

The second day was with the slicers. Winston shared the heartfelt story about how the greenie grew an emotional attachment to one of the goats he was supposed to kill. Apparently the boys had argued how he had to kill the creature or else he wouldn't be qualified for the job. It took fifteen minutes to just get him in the position where the blade was hovering over the animal's neck. In the end Winston was the one who ended up killing the goat; Thomas was left speechless.

So that was two jobs marked off.

His next day had been with the Track-hoes. Luckily for him that was something he had been decently good at. Sure he spilled the seeds a couple times or tripped over the fertilizer bucket repeatedly, but at least he was trying.

Most of the other jobs went smoothly as well- except the builders. Gally was the one to share the story of how the entire time Thomas was attempting to build himself a bench, Aaron was standing over his shoulder watching him like a hawk. She figured the raven boy's behavior had to have come from the other day. The day where she found the brunette lying on the ground having a nightmare.

After the gruesome week, and after a very in depth keeper meeting. It was decided that the greenie would be a Track-hoe. That decision was made yesterday-today was his first official starting day as a glader with a job. Evony didnt know why she knew all of this. She didn't know this much detail on how any other greenies first week went-besides Chuck of course. Again, she felt this strange pull, drawing her into him and making her want to learn everything she could.

She guessed she just really wanted to be his friend.

"Evy, you okay with that?"

Her eyes blinked quickly, adjusting to see what, and who, was in front of her. "Yea-yep, totally good." She sputtered, completely unsure of what she had just agreed to. Glancing around she instantly saw the faces of her fellow runners and remembered where she was and what she was doing.

Minho waved a hand in front of her face, snapping his fingers offly close to her nose. "Were you even listening?"

"Yes!" Tangling her hand through her hair-a habit she did often when she lied-Evony paused and looked around at the boys who were holding back laughs. She adjusted her runners pack on her shoulders, along with her thin black shirt and headed out to the section of the maze she was supposed to run. Usually the runners had a pattern they stuck too regarding who ran what section of the maze on what day. However, apparently today was different, as Minho stopped her with a hand to the chest before she could step a foot into the maze.