[ 24 ] Alec

CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR
• Alec •

⋆﹥━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━﹤⋆

THOMAS AND EVONY raced down the hill, their feet carrying them as fast as they could to get back to the Glade. At the sound of the scream, both teens had rushed to stand up and move towards the sound. Now, they were about halfway down the hill, Evony in the lead as they followed the chattering voices.

They heard more screams once they reached the bottom, except these were different. These were painful, horrid, and shocking.

They were Newts.

She had a corrupted idea of what could've happened, but the denial in her mind wasn't letting her to believe anything of the sort. She didn't know how she was to cope if she saw what she was thinking.

"Evony-" Thomas called from behind her, but her feet made no move to stop or slow down.

They reached the bottom of the hill, and that's when she was able to peek through the trees to see the gathering of Gladers in a circle. Most were standing, a couple were kneeling down, and one person was almost completely flushed to the floor. It was Newt, and he seemed to be hovering over someone who was also laying in the grass.

For one long moment her heart stopped.

No. No. No.

She made it to the clearing surprisingly quick; once she did she pushed past the boys who were blocking the view of her friend. It was for the most part easy, as most of them looked too stunned and out of it to complete normal actions.

Evony saw Newt first. His head was lowered while his arms wrapped around Alec's chest. She couldn't see his face; his hair covered most of his forehead, but she could sense his emotions just from the painful words leaving from his lips.

"Alec," he muttered, gazing down at the boy he loved in shock. His hands moved so that one could help lift the boy's head off the ground. The other wove through the slicer's curly hair. "Alec, please wake up."

She saw Alec next. His limp body laid in the blondes arms, his eyes closed. His body was covered from blood, the majority of it leaking from the wide slit that was visible across his neck.

Next she saw the knife laying on the ground next to him. It was about two feet long, the perfect length for it to be used as a weapon. It was glossed in a thick red substance that ran all the way from the tip of the blade down to the hilt of the knife.

Finally she saw Minho, who-in a desperate attempt-was holding Newt's sides as he tried to pull him off from the boy's body. The friends struggled against each other, the blonde refusing to let the runner drag him away from his boyfriend.

"Newt," she said gently, bending down to place her hand on his back. He only pushed her away, bending down lower so he could be closer to the ground.

His thumb rubbed at Alec's lips, desperately hoping for only a sliver of air to escape from them. His head rested on his chest, waiting for the thump of a heartbeat that never was to come.

"Come on, love," Newt begged, "You got to wake up; we need you."

Then his voice softened, and if she wasn't so close to him she never would've heard his next words.

"I need you."

Evony and Minho made eye contact, and with a nod of the head the two of them reached under the blonde's arms and attempted to pull him off the body. She felt awful doing such a thing, especially when she knew Newt wanted to stay and hope for his boyfriend to wake up. But hope was a dangerous thing, and the longer they let him stay the more it would end up tearing him apart later.