[ 17 ] The First Death

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN
• the first death •

⋆﹥━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━﹤⋆

mentions of suicide/death

EVONY RUMMAGED THROUGH the crates, her fingers picking out another wooden board to scan her eyes over. Her fingers traced over the carved paths, mentally noting the label of SECTION 2 that was headed on top of the board. She paused to think for a moment before laying it next to the other Section 2 boards she had already pulled out from other boxes.

"Can we be done, now?"

She continued to flip through the wood pieces in the current crate she was working on. Heaving the remaining four in her arms, she lifted them out of the box and shut the lid firmly back on. "You haven't even done anything," she claimed, using the piece of chalk she had to write a big X on the side of the box.

Minho stared at her blankly, flipping a shard of wood over in his hand. "We've been at this for what-two hours? If there was a pattern we would've found it."

A grunt left her lips as she ripped off the lid to another crate; she pulled out three more wooden boards. She then laid them down in front of her so she could study the differences in the carved paths. "Maybe if you were helping," she retorted back to him. Evony glanced up to see him shake his head.

"I am helping," Minho informed, "Me standing here is giving you moral support." He immitated himself cheering, "Go, woo! You can do this!"

Evony scoffed, not finding amusement in his answer. "I don't need moral support, I need physical help."

"You should've asked Thomas, then," The Keeper shrugged. He flipped the piece of wood into the air and caught it between his thumb and pointer finger.

She stopped at his words, peering across the room at her friend who was looking at her with a smug smile. "Okay.." she hesitated, standing up and brushing her hands off on her pants, "Why him?"

A look of disbelief ran across his face; he pushed himself off the crate he was sitting on and walked over to where she was standing. Evony kept a deadpan expression as he stared at her with a knowing look. Then Minho laughed-not a mocking or joyful laugh, but one of slight bewilderment. "That shank might have the attention span of a duck, but he'll sure as hell do anything if the orders come out of your pretty little mouth."

She found herself rolling her eyes, "It's just because I'm second-in-command. He's basically obliged to listen to me."

Now came the actual laugh from Minho. He doubled over, guffawing at her statement like it was the funniest thing he'd ever heard. "Evy, he follows you around like a lost puppy."

"No he doesn't."

"Uh, yes he does."

"No."

"Yes."

"Name one time," she pressed.

"Yesterday morning," Minho said coolly, "Max was trying to get him to climb one of the vines on the wall for fun. He was going to do it until you walked by and he chased after you without even saying goodbye."

Evony thought back to the moment he was speaking of. She remembered seeing Max, Minho and Thomas huddled in a circle that morning. Not thinking much of it she had continued to walk by with a disappointed shake of the head. "He had a question. No big deal."

The Keeper raised an eyebrow at her, thoroughly unconvinced that was all there was to it. He bent down to grab one of the wooden boards that were sitting by her feet, examined it for a second, then tossed it back her way. "And what was that meaningless question."