[ 31 ] Things Are Changing

CHAPTER THIRTY- ONE
• things are changing •

CHAPTER THIRTY- ONE• things are changing •

⋆﹥━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━﹤⋆

"go read the last chapter if you absolute forget everything in the three weeks since I've updated"

THE NEXT MORNING couldn't come quick enough. It took great strength to keep herself from rushing to the walls right when she woke; but she managed to restrain herself long enough to wait for the rest of the Gladers to wake up. They all seemed so peaceful as they slept, and for that she was jealous; she hadn't been able to close her eyes last night without picturing Thomas and Minho getting devoured by a griever.

Just the thought of the gruesome scene brought tears to her eyes. She was trying to not accept the fate of her friends, but she knew it was undeniable. Nobody survived a night in the maze. Then again, if anyone was able to do it it would be those two.

Her nails were bit down to the point of bleeding, the dark substance staining the tips of her fingers as if she had just picked up a bloody heart. Which in a way could've been her own heart; after all it felt like it had been ripped out of her chest anyway.

It was one thing to have to handle the depression of the night alone. It was another to listen to the faint sobs from Chuck as he cried himself to sleep wrapped in covers that were brought halfway past his face. She could hear the built up snot in his nose every time he sniffled, and it broke her heart even more.

Newt came and found her around 5:20. She had been slumped up against a tree, nearly passed out from exhaustion, when he tapped her on the shoulder and startled her out of her vivid daydream.

He didn't even say anything. He didn't have to. They just stood up together and made their way over to the North entrance, their hearts heavy with despair.

She saw Aaron sometime during the walk over; he was arguing with Gally over by the Meeting hut. Then she remembered what he had asked of her the night before, and her blood began to boil with hatred and loathe.

She was ready to do whatever it took to make sure he wasn't the one who ended up in any leadership positions.

Newt ran a hand over his chin, checking his watch for what had been the third time since they'd been standing there.

6:59. Only one more minute until the doors opened. That minuete passed slowly-slower than she could ever imagine-and then suddenly the ground began to rumble beneath their feet. Chuck clung onto her left side, while Newt, Max and Frypan were on her right. She glanced around, surprised to see only a few other gladers waiting outside the walls. Maybe it was just her who was expecting more people to care about Thomas, Minho, and Alby, but shouldn't everyone at least be a little concerned whether a fellow glader was alive or not.