[ 5 ] Tell Me Something Funny

CHAPTER FIVE
• tell me something funny •

⋆﹥━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━﹤⋆

THOMAS WRAPPED HIS arms around her body, cradling her head into his chest to limit the amount of impact. The two collapsed onto the floor: tired and weak-the sound of the walls smashing together from behind them. He laid there on the ground with her, their bodies in a fetal position, her small breaths tickling the edge of his chin which he hung over her shoulder. His heavy pants were becoming steadier, and his eyes had opened back up to look at the girl in his arms. She wasn't conscious, but at least was breathing. He decided that was good enough for now. Breathing was good-breathing meant she was alive.

He laid there with her until the rest of the gladers came and circled around them. Thomas released his grip on her waist, moving it to her back so that he could sit her up. However her body disobeyed, and she ended up flopping straight in his lap, her head laying on his chest.

The second time he attempted to lift her up he had help. Minho and Max had rushed over and were helping him lift the girl up around their shoulders. Thomas propped her up against him as he carefully exchanged Evony to the runners. His hand stayed stabilized on her back the entire time, not wanting to risk her falling.

Both of the other boys hoisted an arm around each of her shoulders, then began walking towards the med hut. Thomas started to follow behind them, but was stopped by an unexpected force that drove him to the ground. Face first into the dirt, he scrambled to get a look at who had pushed him.

He didn't have a chance at first, as the person gripped his shirt, yanking him up to his feet the moment he turned around. Stumbling around off balance, Thomas pushed his arms out to rid himself of the figure's hold. Once he got away, he backed up and finally saw who had initiated the action.

Aaron

Of course it was Aaron-who else who has shown such aggressiveness towards him. Thomas clenched his teeth, using everything in him to not throw a rude remark back at the boy.

The raven head charged up to him, his arm locked back and next thing Thomas knew his knuckles made contact with the left side of his face. He stumbled once more, but this time caught his balance much quicker. "What the hell was that for?" The brunete snapped, bringing his hand up to his jaw to caress the skin that was probably starting to bruise.

"I don't know what you were thinking, Tobias." Aaron said, laughing mockingly. "Did you really think you would get away with playing the hero card?"

Thomas' eyes squinted in confusion at his words. "I didn't play any hero cards." He countered, "I saved her life because it didn't look like anybody else had the guts to do it."

Aaron took a handful of the greenies blue shirt into a death grip. He stared down at the boy expecting a response of fear, or even an apology. Neither came. "You didn't do shit."

Thomas stayed relaxed under his gaze. He wasn't affected by his piercing stare or force-not when he knew he was right. "Oh really? Maybe next time I'll take some pointers from you and just let her die." He snarked. The builder froze for a split second, and that was all Thomas needed for him to crash his shoulder into the boys and push past him towards the med hut.

Once he spotted the group of gladers standing outside the tiny hut, he sprinted over the grassland to meet them. The first person that noticed him was Newt, and that was because he was heading the opposite direction. He stopped him before he got close enough to peer through the opening of the room.

"You can't see her." The blonde said bluntly. Thomas shook his head is disagreement at the terms. He tried to peek over the boy's shoulder but was rendered unsuccessful since he was much shorter than the other.