[ 18 ] Bloody Letters

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN
• bloody letters •

⋆﹥━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━﹤⋆

Mentions of suicide/death/self harm

TWO MORE GLADERS died over the course of the week. A Builder, and a Track-Hoe. They died the same way as Jake-by suicide, but the way they committed was what was different. The Builder had used a wooden stack and hammer to puncture himself, and the Track-Hoe had slit his own throat with one of the gardening tools.

Evony might not have been close friends with any of those gladers, but the guilt still found a way to eat at her. Everytime she tried to remind herself that it wasn't her fault-that overall it was their choice-she would fall back on the fact of her being Second-in-Command. Her, Newt and Alby were the three people who were supposed to watch over the Glade; make sure that things were going smoothly.

She couldn't help thinking that she was failing, and it was eating her alive.

Evony hadn't gone into the maze the past three days; she was too busy trying to calm the chaos that was the atmosphere of the Glade. She also hadn't talked to many people-including Thomas. If she had it was because they were helping with the bodies. To top it off her and Newt hadn't been able to get the one Glader who knew about Jakes nightmares to talk yet. At least she understood that part-he needed time-but she wasn't sure how much more time they would be able to spare.

She had also been busy with something else. Behind Albys' back, she and Newt had been organizing small funerals for each of the Gladers. They both felt that it was only right that their fellow brothers got a place to rest in peace.

The first funeral was held the day after Jake died. Evony had taken it upon herself to organize the whole thing: making the tombstone, telling the people, digging a hole; she had done all of it herself. The process essentially took the entire day-that was if she counted the hour lunch and dinner breaks she took in between her work. Eventually Newt had noticed what she was doing and opted to help her out for the next two deaths. Together they secretly held a gathering for the friends of the fallen Gladers.

The last of the deaths had happened yesterday; now her and Newt were standing over a hole they had dug together, the body of the glader lying lifelessly at the bottom.

It was a builder who had died, and only her, Newt and his closest friends were standing around the gravesite. Both her and her friend had come to the conclusion that he should be the one to do the speaking-if there even was going to be much speaking.

The blonde cleared his voice, gaining the attention of the four people around him. "Gladers; friends of Will," he addressed. His eyes glanced over to Evony as he looked for reassurance, "We are gathered to bid goodbye to a loved friend."

Heads hung low around them, and tears dripped off of two of the three builders' faces. One of them got down on their knees, their hand grazing over the blank space that was above his friend's body. Watching the boys feel such remorse to Will made Evony sick to her stomach.

This was her fault. She should've known something was wrong. She should've been able to stop the events from unfolding.

The one boy who was on his knees let out an uncontrolled sob; streams of tears ran down his cheeks. It was obvious he was highly affected by the death, she would even dare to say the most affected. Beside that boy were two other gladers-both Builders. It just so happened that Will had been good friends with Aaron.

She wondered how anyone felt compassion for that asshole.

The boy on his knees sniffled and rested his hand on Will's arm. "Can I say something," he asked, looking up at Evony in despair. She silently nodded, waiting for him to speak.