[ 13 ] Be My Girl

CHAPTER THIRTEEN
• be my girl •

⋆﹥━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━﹤⋆

HER HANDS WORKED through the strands of hair on Chuck's head, snipping away an inch at all of the pieces. The two exchanged friendly conversation as he sat on a log with her standing over him. Metal scissors-usually used by Med-jacks-were chosen for the task. The rest of the equipment included a bucket, water, and a dry towel. Besides that, all she needed was for the little boy to sit still so no excess hair got accidentally chopped off.

The rest of her friends were in the surrounding area, too. Alec had taken it upon himself to help cut some of the boys hair-Evony had a suspicion it was because he wanted to fit in-so now he was currently trimming the top of Frypans hair. Newt was also keeping watch over them-and honestly everyone-as they did their work.

Then there was the last trio. Minho, Max and Ben. Those three were off in the corner laughing about something presumably stupid. Though only the first boy was getting anything done to him, since the other two had decided a couple days ago to shave off their hair for the rest of the summer.

She had suspicions it had to do with a bet they lost, but that might've just been her.

Currently she was helping Chuck, and then after she offered to cut Thomas' hair as well. He had agreed almost instantly and she had been relieved; she didn't trust Alec or anyone else to not mess up on the boys haircut.

Her hands wove through the little boys wet hair. She had found that wetting hair before cutting made it a lot easier to get precise amounts rather than doing it dry. Evony held up another piece and snipped off the dead ends; just as she did Chuck looked down to the ground at his fallen hair.

She whipped back the scissors, afraid to make another cut while he was shifting around in his seat. "Remember, you can't move while I'm doing this," she reminded him. Chuck nodded then abruptly stopped once he realized that was only causing more movement.

"Why not?"

Evony flinched at the sudden voice. Once again she pulled the metal object away from the peice of hair and faced the culprit with a scowl.

She hated that it had to be Thomas, because she couldn't be mad at him for disturbing her. Not when he pulled his lips into a frown and tilted his head in confusion.

Returning to her task, she held up another piece and measured out an inch; then chopped it off. "If he moves I could accidentally make a mistake; I'm not great at this so I'd rather keep the possibilities of failure to a low level."

"What kind of mistake?" Chuck piped up in worry. After all, he was the one she was currently working on.

"Let's talk about something else," Evony suggested. Conversation about messing up was only making her more anxious to do her job correct.

Thomas nodded, coming around her backside so he could sit on the log next to Chuck. His elbows rested on his knees as he looked up at her concentrated face with a smile.

He didn't know what was happening to him. Every time he looked at her a fluttery feeling-which he could only describe as affection-filled his stomach, warming his heart. It was such a pleasant feeling too; that was the scary part of it all.

"Chuck, do you want the front short of long?" Evony asked, stepping over the log so she could be in front of him. She was blind to Thomas watching her every movement, observing the subtle way her fingers rubbed against each other and how her hair blew with the breeze.