Chapter 1: New Beginnings

And here we are! The beginning of the second book! I'll admit, I've been excited for this. But first, a little word please.

This story will not be happy. It will not have as dark of a tone as the first story, but it is still a grimdark story. There will be the depressing moments, and characters will die. That's just my preferred writing style.

But don't worry! Y/N and Vao have a good childhood, and they aren't abused. They have a loving family, since Salem is unable to interfere.

WARNING: If you are starting with this book, please read the first one before starting this book. There will be things mentioned that will not make sense without prior knowledge of the original story.

Enjoy the first chapter!

...

"Want to play a game?"

It was the first question Y/N had been asked that day. He rubbed the sleep from his eyes, looking at his brother in annoyance. "... Vao, do you have any idea what time it is?"

"Three in the morning!"

"Exactly, go to bed." Y/N rolled over and pulled the sheets over himself, trying not to remember that Vao was standing over him, watching him attempt to sleep. His brother grinned, poking his cheek.

"C'mon, Ruby and Yang want to play airsoft... Don't you want to join us?"

"We have school in the morning with Dad... And how did you and Yang even get here? You live with Aunt Raven..."

Vao shrugged like it was the most obvious thing in the world. "I walked!"

"You live two miles from here... Two... Freaking... Miles..."

Slam!

The next thing Vao knew, he was standing back in the hall. He heaved a sigh and looked at his siblings and uncle. "He doesn't want to play..." He muttered. Qrow lowered his toy rifle in devastation.

"Well, what do we do? Mom'll kill Uncle Qrow if she finds out he snuck out with us. Then kill us."

"Well, good luck with that," Ruby butted in before returning to her own room. Qrow sighed.

"Look, kids. It'll be fine; we'll run back over there real quick before she even knew we were gone."

And that was how Qrow were seated on the couch, being screamed at by Raven. She had awoken to Qrow stumbling out the door and waited for them to return.

"I was worried sick, and you wanted to play with a toy gun!" She screamed in his face.

"Actually, it's airsoft..."

"I don't give a fuck!"

Vao and Yang sat in their shared room, listening to the argument. The blonde gripped the sides of her head in annoyance. "Ugh, dang it... All that noise is makin' my head ache..." She whined. Vao slouched on his bed, a lazy look in his eyes.

"Man... It never ends..." He muttered. Except it did. Footsteps were approaching their door. Immediately Yang dove into the closet, shutting the door behind her and leaving Vao to face his mother's wrath alone.

"You traitor!" He cried. The door opened, but it wasn't Raven.

"I got kicked out of my room..." Qrow whined. He sat down on Yang's bed, pulling out his flask and taking a hearty sip. Yang peeked her head out of the closet, relief washing over her face.

"Oh... We're safe..." She breathed.

"Not quite," Raven growled from the doorway.

And that was how Qrow got sent to the couch and the siblings got grounded.